Mr clean's Fair Haven Report

For what it is worth since I have never fished for walleye in the bay, I asked Brendan at Screwy Louie's last year about it and he said the walleyes are in there early in the spring and then move out into the lake.

Really weird that this question came up today since it was 13 years ago today when I landed my first trophy walleye which happened to be while casting for browns off the long pier coming out of little sodus.  I had 3 boats watching me land it with my 10 1/2' noodle rod with 6 lb test and a 3/8 oz little cleo.  They all offered me all the fish on their boats for this sow.   Just happened to be on opening day of walleye season.  You could say it was a pretty lucky day for me hahapost-156407-0-24136800-1462315664_thumb.jpgpost-156407-0-40335300-1462315754_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I almost beat it with a 29" I caught trolling in my kayak last summer off Stony Point but was still nothing like that noodle rod fight!  I had to climb down a safety ladder for a gill grab since we didn't have a net.  My hand went through the gill and into it's mouth and gashed a finger on a tooth.  The entire thing was an experience I will never forget.

There are some nice ones that ive caught in front of the winery.  Its been a couple of years since ive tried. Some nice pike at the south end of the bay by the gazebo point..

Its still breezy and cold up here. The lake is fine early am then she perks up by noon. One charter went out today. came back with two small browns and a small laker..

It is going to warm up towards the weekend but conditions will still stay unsettled ...

Early am.....

A good reason to wader fish on the west side. If you fish the pier, you need a net with a 15' handle or a buddy to jump down on the rocks or ladder. Crappies in front of the winery dock around the tree leaning in the water last week. Fun time till 8 a.m., all done after that.

Well this is pretty much what happened this weekend lol....

13124921_10201537160068778_6584806735698

Friday afternoon it was breezy and it finally calmed down around 8pm Saturday am was fine until the lake picked up again, clear water, East winds that shifted last night to West and a good 5 footers this am...For those that went out some did some didnt. Friday was very slow during the day one charter came in with a couple of nice lakers and small brown. Saturday didnt produce much more, Today is a joke lol...

Right now small craft advisory right thru Monday then it will take a couple of days for the lake to calm, looks like Wed night at this point. Keep an eye out for mud lol..

Was out fishing the bay Saturday and today, it was considerably slower than last weekend. Bunch of smaller bass and pike, but one 5lb smallie today....with only one eye, at that. That was pretty cool, and I do believe my personal best smallmouth.

I know I'm giving bass reports to trolling guys who could probably care less but I just like talking about Fair Haven, lol..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm not crazy about bass fishing but I do love catching smallmouths when I get into them.  If it weren't for those bronzebacks my walleye opener would have been almost fishless but the bass kept the net wet all night long with a 5# smallie as well.post-156407-0-05778100-1462749855_thumb.jpg

Thats a big bass lol. There are lots of them in there...

I spend just as much time in my "sea otter" going for the bass, pans, bullheads and those big "bowfin" nasty looking things.... A lot of times when im done salmon fishing in the am ill go out in the bay and see whats hitting. Even at evening I do them both. Theres fish everywhere in Fair Haven.

11855715_10200699196960224_4040565940072

Theres usually a realistic lag between the Browns and Salmon seasons, sometimes its longer than others. The bay is loaded with stuff during the Summer. Theres some real nice spots wayyyyy back thru the pond in the state park about a half mile in . It zig zags all the way back into Sterling...

Edited by mrclean

Yeah sweet smallies. I remember last early July the bowfins were everywhere in Meadow Cove and the south end, and they like spinnerbaits. Had no idea what they were and had to google it. Got into a couple that luckily fell off right at the boat so I didn't have to haul them in, lol. They are weird looking fish, but pretty cool they are an ancient species.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Those are real nice.

I went out tonight for an hour or so just to poke around. Water is pretty clear. A few guys went out yesterday and today and came back with some nice lakers out around 90 fow where they have been. It looks like Friday is our best bet. Saturday am should hold on until it picks up big time Saturday night into Sunday night.

13178827_10209614207414628_7441204886698

the good news...I had a good 52 temp right outside the pier and the chute was loaded with fish. Setting up just nicely....

13062314_10209614188454154_5571765064429

Edited by mrclean

Those are real nice.

I went out tonight for an hour or so just to poke around. Water is pretty clear. A few guys went out yesterday and today and came back with some nice lakers out around 90 fow where they have been. It looks like Friday is our best bet. Saturday am should hold on until it picks up big time Saturday night into Sunday night.

13178827_10209614207414628_7441204886698

the good news...I had a good 52 temp right outside the pier and the chute was loaded with fish. Setting up just nicely....

13062314_10209614188454154_5571765064429

Yea water looks real clear Mr Clean, my daughters went ape shyt over the little geese, till I told them they make great pike and Muskie bait. What area of the lake are you from!, Wednesday after the eye season it was 38-41* on the Black River. Thanks Pap!!

The swans have been nesting at my camp for years. Last year DEC oiled the eggs so they couldnt hatch (swans are an invasive species) This year the swans won lol. 9 chicks all doing fine. They are in a protected area right behind me in the back area but no worries...the male swan will defend to the end. Because they are extremely familiar with me, I can get up close where others dont dare lol...they are big birds and mean for sure lol.

Well i was able to get out with a few others Saturday am before the winds picked up. The water was slightly "muddy" and there were some fish near the pier. Most who went out tried for browns early am and then shot out to 100 or so for lakers. All in all Saturday was a slow day. Most who stayed out got a few lakers, a couple of browns, with lots of time on the water. It was not very productive. I gave it an hour or so and threw in the white towel before the winds kicked everyone off.

It started to blow around noon yesterday and this is what it looked like about an hour ago...Simple math....7 foot waves, 30 mph+ winds and gusts higher = no fishing lol...

It will take till Tuesday to calm this down but as you can see its really gettting stirred up and there is warm water there so hopefully this is what turns it on....

Edited by mrclean