BOATS BOATS BOATS! need help

Ok so I went to look at a Fishmastar in NJ this weekend. Jumped in the car and 5.5hrs later I was there. Where do I start The cover was ripped, the canopy was ripped, the floor had a small rip in it, the front if the boat had some rivets pulling out, but that’s not the worst of it. The transom had about 12 small holes in it from running in salt water. I have never seen rot holes like that is it normal? The boat was bad and she told me that it was never in salt water and in good shape. The funny thing is that the boat I’m running now was run in salt water and you could eat off the bottom of the boat. I thought I was sold on either a Starcraft Fishmaster or a Monark big water but I don’t know. The only thing I do know is I’m done going south to look at boats. Not only did it cost me about $250 with tolls, but she raised the price after I got there from what we agreed on.

Is it normal for the transoms to go bad on these boats? Where is the best place to look for one of these boats? Do they make any glass boats that look like the starcraft? I saw a Nice Monark but the guy wanted $23,500 for a five year old boat and my biggest worry is that Monark is out of business so if you have a problem what could you do to get help? I have been looking for about 4 months and there are not a lot of boats like this out there. I economy must be bad no one is buying new ones. I could use some help where is the best place looking for boats?

If the boat was sitting in the water somewhere and there was a power source or some other issue with different type of metals, there will be electrolysis which causes the holes. The zinc blocks on the motors and sometimes on the transom are supposed to counter act that but it does not happen in all situations.

Th e first thing I'd suggest is to back up a bit and do some basic research regarding exactly what you want and are looking for....buying out of "desperation" or "frustration" is always a bad idea. If you are only interested in a USED boat that is advertised do your homework on it....try to find owners that will share their info on it with you....don't rush into a sale....If you find that "one of a kind bargain" narrowed down from your research have it surveyed and thoroughly checked out by a reputable surveyor. It could be the best couple hundred bucks you'll ever spend. It sounds as though you already have a boat so don't operate from the standpoint that you have to grab a bargain NOW no matter what....too much money involved in such a hasty decision....there will always be good boats for sale for a million different reasons. Good luck with it.

Ya I have a monark pro1700 it is a good boat runs awesome. I have done some research and I landed on the Fishmaster 196 or Monark 1902 big water. I just need more room so I can take another guy if I want. My boat will fish 3 but 4 would be tight. That boat is on craiglist in NJ the lady told me it was never in salt water But there are a bunch of holes in the tansom that were flaking out and when I pushed on them it was week. The rivet that was pulling out from the rollers hitting it. The boat was sitting on the trailer for 2 years and looked like the bottom of the boat was bent from the stress of the rollers. i could see the stringers outline. I haven't seen alot of these boat around this year I didn't buy one last year and there were a bunch for sale. Funny that I talked to a starcraft dealer and ha said sale were good but he didn't have ant used ones and none coming in? I think he might be fibbing. I would like a glass boat but i don't want a big heavy boat to hall around. I saw a starcraft on here that was a 1702 DC or something. I looked but didn't see any thing from starcraft new.  

Try this site. Lots of nice boats similar to what you are looking for but most of them are midwest. A couple decent Lund 18' Tyees on there now. One with downriggers and a nice Honda kicker. Some nice glass multi species boats too.  http://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/searchresults

I have owned a Crestliner and a Lund. No comparison really. If you are fishing big water like Lake Ontario and want an aluminum boat, I would get a Lund, Starcraft, or an Alumacraft.

Boston Whaler or Mako as long as money isn't a major concern :lol:

If money is NO option... why not go all the way? Fountain, WorldCat,... Lol

Seriously, it's hard to label a brand good/bad based on general opinions. The price of new boats is crazy and almost every manufacturer builds a line to compete with the bottom tier.

I own several boats and my Creatliner is one of the toughest. It's a work boat, gets tied to barges, sheet-pile walls, and occasionally has been beached on the shores of the Hudson. It shows little abuse, but is also one of the thicker hull models they offer. They also produce a hull that's as thin as the basic model PolarKraft. They are worlds apart.

I know others have mentioned it here but it's sometimes hard to pass slightly older boats by. I see new aluminum boats in the $35k range and would still take a SeaNymph GLS or Starcraft Islander from the 90's. Those models were made for the Great Lakes and still are worth their weight any rough day. (I'm not just repeating what I've heard... I still have a SeaNymph and regret ever selling my Islander 191- that thing floated like a cork in any conditions and trolled fine with a 5HP Honda).

It sounds like you're on the right track by being willing to travel. My last two boats including by present Lake O rig, came from NJ and I saved a fortune. Sorry you got burned. Keep at it and don't get discouraged!

If money is NO option... why not go all the way? Fountain, WorldCat,... Lol

Seriously, it's hard to label a brand good/bad based on general opinions. The price of new boats is crazy and almost every manufacturer builds a line to compete with the bottom tier.

I own several boats and my Creatliner is one of the toughest. It's a work boat, gets tied to barges, sheet-pile walls, and occasionally has been beached on the shores of the Hudson. It shows little abuse, but is also one of the thicker hull models they offer. They also produce a hull that's as thin as the basic model PolarKraft. They are worlds apart.

I know others have mentioned it here but it's sometimes hard to pass slightly older boats by. I see new aluminum boats in the $35k range and would still take a SeaNymph GLS or Starcraft Islander from the 90's. Those models were made for the Great Lakes and still are worth their weight any rough day. (I'm not just repeating what I've heard... I still have a SeaNymph and regret ever selling my Islander 191- that thing floated like a cork in any conditions and trolled fine with a 5HP Honda).

It sounds like you're on the right track by being willing to travel. My last two boats including by present Lake O rig, came from NJ and I saved a fortune. Sorry you got burned. Keep at it and don't get discouraged!

Thanks I will keep looking I have a boat so in no hurry. Did you find that the boats were in good shape?

They were both gambles but good. My current Lake O boat is one of them. It's a 21' walk around. I jumped on it when I saw it because the guy listed it as "boat in excellent condition, motor for parts". He had it priced so low I could seriously re-power it and still be $15k below used book value. He had a ton of pictures and cared enough to tell me about little things like a snap that separated on the bimini top and a slight scratch on the aluminum tower/arch. That made me feel like he was legit.

Long story short... I dropped the lower unit, replaced the shift shaft and it has been running like new for three seasons now. I love the boat.

It's just such a gamble. Everybody treats boats different. Most of us on sites like these treat boats like an extension of our home. They are cleaned, detailed, and maintained. Then there are those that consider them disposable. Sun faded, rotting from rain with no cover, oxidized... These people consider a 10yr old boat that doesn't have a hole in the side to be "great shape"! It's so hard. Pictures are your best friend. If they're not willing to send you every single picture you want and more, then they're not worth the drive.

At least you're not in a hurry and hurting for a boat right now. Take your time and check out everything you find interesting. Good reviews are one thing but finding the boat that has everything YOU specifically need is another. Scan the launches and marinas and keep track of what really suits you.

Don't get frustrated and keep looking!

Purchased a Fishmaster 196 a few years ago. Dealer also stated they don't see a lot of used ones coming in. Guys tend to hang on to them for awhile. For what its worth ....

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Last September I purchased a 1991 221V Islander. Has the 4.3L V6, was decked out with custom SS rod holders, two BigJohn planer board reels, a homemade transom platform to hold downriggers, rods and the kickers gas tank, a heavy duty kicker bracket, full canvas and mooring cover for $8k. here is is in the water this past weekend. I wouldnt hesitate to look at an older boat as long as you know what you are looking for.

post-151489-0-73531400-1370365479_thumb.jpg

Edited by Adk1

HI, I have a great fishing and family boat for you. 171/2 MFG, open bow, fished the "O" for 20 years, salmon, etc. Excel.,

NO PROBLEMS. $5000. I can send you pictures if I have your e-mail.   jim

Ya I was set on a superfisherman and after looking at alot of boats I really like the Monark 1902 big water it is a fishmaster with an all weld hall. But if a fishmaster is hard to find than a Monark should be real easy HAHA. I guess when you least expect it one will show up. My problem is I don't have alot of dealers for any of these with in 50 miles of me and you can't run these on any lake around me. 

HI, I have a great fishing and family boat for you. 171/2 MFG, open bow, fished the "O" for 20 years, salmon, etc. Excel.,

NO PROBLEMS. $5000. I can send you pictures if I have your e-mail.   jim

Looking for 20 footer