Fishing has been slow, huh?

Yup I have thrown almost anything down and varied depths and came up with next to nothing.  Last weekend I had 5 hits and but only 1 hung on and that one didn't even make it to the boat.

My take on it is this: Most folks on many different bodies of water (e.g. Finger lakes) seem to be reporting the same result. The lakes are "transitioning" toward the thermocline setting up and there seems to be high availability of bait still in relatively shallow water in big congregations making it easy for fish to feed without much effort, and there is considerable early morning light right now enhancing this possibility. The recent deluges of rain haven't helped the situation either (except maybe in terms of being able to launch without as much concern) My hunch is that in a week or two (at the latest) things will stabilize (if the weather cooperates) and the huge bait pods will disperse into smaller pods and the fishing will improve greatly (toward late June early July (if like in many other "normal" years). Folks who anticipated a return of last years fishing fiesta may not have been looking closely enough at the differences in the weather conditions leading into the present situation. Last years warmth, dryness and general weather was very abnormal. Lake O may be a bit different because of its size.

Edited by Sk8man

^ I agree with this. Today we caught a small king (very likely pen-reared) and we even tried fishing for browns in the early morning because the water was stained ideally.

We come up to Lake O annually and last year we caught 140 fish...pretty much anything we threw down was getting hit. Sounds pretty accurate to what you're saying.

I also come to the lake in the spring for browns and this past year was very successful.

But between the weather and your theory and all, I think the fishing is pretty off.

what kind of tackle are you using and what depths?

Pretty much anything. On the extreme ends of 40-120 feet and all between, using spoons and spin doctors. All different colors, greens, purples, blacks, etc. We've been fishing the lake for years. We've tried as close as 100 feet and as deep as 450 feet.

Yea been a tough year. Couple of rouge kings but our bite has been mainly lakers and a few steelhead. best luc with lakers was runnin tackle rite on bottom from 80 - 100fow. Even brown bite was slower than normal. We been spoiled the last few years. A sensitive fishery, a bad year or two for the juvies could realy mess the lake up? We fish out of sandy. Walleye biter in the golden cresent has been tough also. Fishin can only get better! Sure beats work

Edited by bettieanne

My theory is a little different but relates back to the early spring we had in 2012.  Fishing was fantastic at the beginning of the year, but by August I noticed that it was getting harder to get bites.  I started looking in the water and there is a lot of bait fish.  I am hopeful that things will work out soon from the late spring this year.  I figure all the forage fish got to spawn more times and earlier last year.  Should balance out this year.  I could be wrong.  This is what I am telling myself.  That and that I am fishing and nothing is better than that.

I've had 13 fish in the boat for the last 5 days on the water. That includes several lakers and skippies. Most years would return 50-60 fish in that time. I've spent about $600 on gas for truck and boat for those fish. Paying my dues to Poseidon now in exchange for a better summer and fall. Good thing my wife fishes and understands.

We are in the normal June transition period as the lake is setting up (stratifying). The past couple years have been an anomoly. These are actually normal mid-June conditions. It always is tough in June. Most of us don't bother to even go out and burn gas this time of year, or if you are on a trailer, go to Erie and catch tasty boots (walleye) for a couple weeks.

The lake will be set up and the summer fishing will start by the end of the month. I'll probably head out the weekend of the 22nd and see whats shaking. The lake might be set up by then.

Tim

Try 200-300 FOW. Fish the top 30' with 150- 200 coppers (purple and silver if sunny) a surface line (reef runner, rapala, renosky, etc), and free sliders on 35' and 85' riggers with chartreuse and orange spoons. We found a nice school of coho and some steelies mixed in last time out and had a blast. Kings are tough this time of year as everyone has suggested, but I like the cohos and steelies on the grill and smoker better anyways.