AM or PM fishing.....some observation in 2013

I am by no means anything more than an amateur and weekend warrior when it comes to fishing for trout and salmon.  Been fishing for them the last 10 years (8 learning the ropes on other peoples boats) and the last 2 yrs. having got my own boat and putting in many more hours.

So here is my observation since the 1st of June. I have taken a total of 11 trips, all out of Pultneyville.

4 morning trips, longer duration 6am to noon/1pmish:

- 29 hrs, 23 fish, 0.80 fish/hr or 5.75 fish per trip.  Largest fish was a 22lb laker, and 1 king that was all of 12lbs.  All the other fish were lakers most under 10lbs, small kings/skippies and small steelies.

7 evening trips, shorter after work and weekends 4-8:30ish:

- 28 hrs, 43 fish, 1.5 fish/hr or 6.1 fish per trip.  Largest fish all kings 19, 24, 24, 24 and 25 lbs, a ton of lakers, a 12lb brown and some great steelies. 

I am running virtually identical programs morning and evening, and what I have seen pretty much being used the last 10 years. Mix of spoons & free sliders on the riggers, flasher flies on divers and 4color, 10color and slide diver up top.  I don't run over the early inside waters, and I don't hesitate heading deep or trolling lakers on the bottom if I need to find fish.  But if I go out in the evening (like this past Friday) and catch fish, including a 24lb king, then hit the exact same water 9 hrs later with the same presentation, and get 3 fish, all small, then come back tonight fish those waters and BOOM, lots more fish and another 24lb king.  And this is NOT the first time this season its been like that, don't remember it being like that last summer, but last year was an amazing fishing year.....so what gives?  Is it that the lake is still just setting up?  Am I doing something bizzaro wrong and killing my morning productivity?  I am just floored that my evening catch is basically double the mornings and I don't know why?!?!?!

Anyways, just asking for thoughts?

Jason

I have noticed this for years . All my big fish , including a 35 lb. 9oz  king , have come on the afternoon bite . It doesn.t seem to matter what part of the lake  . I fish out of Sandy pond when I'm at camp . I iive in watertown ,so it's an easy run to Henderson and the trench  when I'm home . The afternoon bite has always been better for me.

I think you may wish to adjust the fish caught rate on the morning run (drop the 5? :) ).  Could be that the fish feed better in afternoon/evening and even night time because of reduced bright  light levels, or maybe even the sun/moon cycles. They are much more sensitive to changes to both than we are....

Edited by Sk8man

As much as I enjoy a sunrise, getting up real early and then feeling like crap until nap time is not the way I like to roll.  Fishing on Lake O has always been better for me for size of fish on afternoon/evening trips.  I think a good degree of feeding occurs at night and then there is a hangover.  Life is too short to be miserable....sleep in.

It's another great year on Lake Ontario, particularly for size, but it is certainly presenting some curveballs. It is the opinion of many veterans that last year we finally had a good ratio of predators to preyfish--and the catch rates exploded for Kings. That year class has some 4 yr olds left--and they are big but the alewife numbers are astounding all over the lake. This will create feeding periods on their terms, as we are back to having excess baitfish in relation to predator numbers. 

For me I just like the afternoon/evening better because I feel like the bite is going to get better as the day progresses. It is the same way with hunting. Given the choice I will always take an afternoon sit over morning (hands down and especially during the first week of november). Part of it is psychological because again it just seems like things are going to get better as the day goes on, but I think the other part is that because your head is more into it, you pay more attention to detail. Whether it is keeping your trolling speed in the "range" or picking that spot on that big buck and staying focused, the details are the difference between huge and marginal success...

That is the way I look at it...

Thanks guys for the input and helping me realize its not just me.  The first 8 years I was fishing on someone else's boat, it was mornings 9 out of 10 trips.  Maybe we took an afternoon/evening troll once or twice a summer, so my perspective was not as evident as to how good evening bites could be.  If what your saying is true Vince, last year was anamoly and hard for me to gauge from, because morning bite was decent and I took less evening trips.  Now I am seeing more of how good the evening bite is and maybe I should sleep in more!!! LOL   Probably not, I will just have to make the most out of the morning bites and hope I set up in the correct water for the fish!!!

Tight lines!

Jason

Evenings can be every bit as good as mornings. We run a lot of "doubles" and quite often our 4 hour evening trips will out fish our 8 hour day trips.

If you have to make a choice pick the most comfortable weather because the actual "catching" is a toss up. Right now anyway.