July 13th - We had some newbies on board this morning from New Jersey looking for a LOC Derby fish. At the same time we were competing in the second of five King of the Oak events. We left the dock a little after 5am and headed out to 90’ of water and began to set lines. Our troll was East, and the picture was decent, temps were good, and the fishing was fair on the inside. The North winds would pick up and it would get a little uncomfortable out there, but the fish were snapping!

On the inside we were able to pull a few Chinook Salmon, some nice Domestic Rainbows, and a couple of Lake Trout. After the sun started to rise that bite seemed to die so we pointed it North at the Glass House. Our North South trolls the rest of the day would prove worthy, and grab us some really nice fish. 

Our spread consisted of our three Cannon downriggers, two wire divers, and three junk lines. Dreamweaver Sea Sick Waddlers were good on a 50’ rigger for the Rainbows. The Kings preferred the A-TOM-MIKs! Good combos on the wires were Wonderbread Smartfish/A-TOM-MIK Glow Blue Hammer, and a Dreamweaver Hammertime Spin Doctor/A-TOM-MIK Hammer fly out 150-225’. Our stud of the day was a Dreamweaver Green Dot Spin Doctor/A-TOM-MIK shredded Hypnotist on our 400 A-TOM-MIK Copper. It took a 21lb and a 26lb King. Those two fish combined with one from the morning bite inside were good enough to score us a 2nd place finish in the King of the Oak event. 

We found the best water to be between the 25N and the 27N lines. A good mix of Steelbows and Kings were out there feasting on the many bait pods.

IMG_20130713_155919_zps7e225e31.jpg

IMG_20130713_105715_zps45346f83.jpg

July 14th (Morning) - Same guys from Jersey, and they were still chasing a LOC derby fish. We left the dock with the intentions to work the same water with a similar program. The North winds rolled a little colder water into the inside. The bait pushed in tighter, and there were less hooks. We gave it a fair shake, which provided a few opportunities, but it just wasn’t happening so we pointed it North.

We ran our typical eight rod spread which consisted of our three Cannon downriggers, two wires, and three junk lines. The big guy rig of the day was a 300 copper pulling a Moonshine Carbon 14. The bite wasn’t as good for us on this morning, but we ground out a nice box that was half Salmon and half Steelbows. Another spoon that took a big guy and is pictured above is a Finger Lakes Tackle UV Sea Sick Waddler. Sick looking blade! The Steelbows were really chomping a Moonshine Green Shorts well late in the day on our Cannons. 

IMG_20130714_123328_zps754f5b7c.jpg

IMG_20130714_115739_zps1c86c885.jpg

July 14th (Afternoon) - I received a message from a guy a few days ago who was interested in getting his grandson hooked into his first Salmon. It totally took me back to when my grandfather took my brother and I fishing all the time. Although we had a morning trip booked I said I’d be more than willing to take them out on an afternoon trip. We met up at 4pm and ventured out, but given the mediocre fishing to the East we pointed the Yankee slight NW and ran it out to the 26N line where we started to set our gear.

Our charter program hit the water and we continued to troll it NW all the way out to the 29N line. That whole troll resulted in a small Steelbow. It was a pretty boring troll! When we got to the 29N line we turned the boat around and put her on a SW troll. When we got to the 27N line with about an hour left in the trip all hell would break loose. It started with the 300 copper and a Carbon 14, which the grandson jumped on. While this battle ensued the 500 copper with a Dreamweaver Live Wire Spin Doctor/A-TOM-MIK Ace Fly started to scream. Grandpa jumped on that rod and now they were doubled! The story couldn’t have played out any better than that! When it was all said and done both Grandpa and Grandson stood in the back of the boat holding identical 21.11lb Chinook Salmon. 

The rest of the hour was just hectic. The 90’ rigger got hot with Salmon. Initially a Dreamweaver Mountain Dew Spin Doctor/A-TOM-MIK Big Fin Glow was going, but when we cracked that off a Chrome green dot flasher/A-TOM-MIK Sweet Pea fly started to take them. Our 55’ rigger with a pair of Dreamweaver Lemon Ice were also producing fish. In the end the grandson got his limit of Salmon, and his Grandpa had his limit of silvers. 

IMG_20130714_193217_zps819e79aa.jpg

Great job! The pic of Grandpa and Grandson is "Priceless"! They definitely need a copy of that one.

Shawn

I totally agree!

You guys rock! Your boat/crew are true fishing machines. Good luck out there!

Thank you

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great report as always.  Gettin' itchy to be up there.  Only half a month now.  Pick up the boat from BOE Marine on Saturday - they are installing a FloScan fuel flow meter on it this week.  Those reports of yours really rock and I look forward to seeing what's happening the next two weekends before we get there. 

Nice report......Good job on Saturday...........I think you may have caught more kings than the bottom half of the field combined!!

The Carbon 14 has been smokin on the 300' .......when it really fires up in the mid morning don't hesitate to drop a pair down on those Cannon out and downs; park one at 55' & 65' ! It's a good way to punish guys for drifting off during a lull!!

Awesome fishing Rick! Very nice report as usual and way to read the fish picture! How far can you smell salmon on the feed anyway?...LOL!

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

LOL....sometimes not far enough!

Very cool, Rick. My grandfather used to take me out fishing in St. Andrews Bay, Panama City Beach - good memories.

Gotta love those memories fishing with grandpa! I know I do! One of my favorites was when my brother teased a duck into hitting his worm dangling on the end of a rod. My grandpa was so pissed! That duck was flying all over trying to throw the hook. I was laughing inside, but knew my grandpa was pissed, so I had to control it. My brother was always the sh*t starter....lol

Great report as always.  Gettin' itchy to be up there.  Only half a month now.  Pick up the boat from BOE Marine on Saturday - they are installing a FloScan fuel flow meter on it this week.  Those reports of yours really rock and I look forward to seeing what's happening the next two weekends before we get there. 

Looking forward to seeing ya! Stop by the boat!

Nice report......Good job on Saturday...........I think you may have caught more kings than the bottom half of the field combined!!

The Carbon 14 has been smokin on the 300' .......when it really fires up in the mid morning don't hesitate to drop a pair down on those Cannon out and downs; park one at 55' & 65' ! It's a good way to punish guys for drifting off during a lull!!

Will do Carl! It's a great spoon I forget about all too often! 

Great reports, you seem to be one of the few ''big players" on the lake that is willing to share info. The reports help wen people don't get out as much and wen we take the younger generations fishing we can put fish in the boat and get the kids hooked like we are. Way to pass is on! keep up the good work and reports, Thanks :yes:

Great report and even better getting your guys on fish! Very impressive, and love the stories...keep em coming tracy and i love reading em when we cant be out on the water. Love to see sportsman sharing their passion and pros like you helping all us weekenders. Absolutely will make it up there this year for my first trip to the big O.

Justin

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app