dive curve/depths of wire dipsey out 300+ feet?

Hi all,

i had my first 2 trips of the year on lake O yesterday and today and they were great (by my standards).

Sat - went our of sandy creek and caught 6 kings (up to 32#) and 3 steelies (up to 10#)

400-500fow and some on wire dipsey (size #1) on a 0 setting out 300 feet.

today i went out of i-bay and got 4 kings - all low to upper 20s - around 200 fow

all on on wire dipsey (size #1) on a 2 setting out 330 feet.

the dive charts i have stop at 150 feet of line out

does anyone have a dive curve/depths for the #1 dipsey (ideally for settings 0, 1, 2, & 3) and also ideally for wire - i know the charts that come with the dipsey are less deep that the same feet out with wire.

if you don't have such a chart, can you estimate how deep a wire dipsey (size #1) on a 2 setting out 330 feet is?

and a wire dipsey (size #1) on a 2 setting out 330 feet?

thanks very much,

andre

i doubt you will get anywhere near 100' down with a #1 dipsy on a 2.5 setting. precision trolling chart  has a #1 with ring on a 2.5 setting down 66' with 210 feet of 30lb wire. on 0 setting with 210' of wire out it says 81' deep. this depth chart is not perfect but it is not that far off. use mag dipsys

Edited by steelydan

236 '. On a 1 dip. Setting 3 gets u down a 100'. I have a wire chart. Can't figure out how to post it We run mag dipsy out as far as 400' We get down ad far as 130 ish. Just cause chart stops doesn't mean dipsy does

i have 3 charts and all three say a #1 dipsy will only dive to 100' on a #1 setting.  #1 dipsy on 2.5 out 236' is around 80' down

Edited by steelydan

1 of the charts i have is the one off of this site. i regularly run mag dipsys on 30lb wire out 230' and the mags are down about 100' and i have them on a #1 setting just enough to clear the riggers. a size 1 dipsy maybe with a mag ring on wire line out 400' would rech 100' but not on a 2.5 setting.

the top chart i am not sure about. i dont know were i got it from. the lower chart is a page from the precision trolling big water edition 2. i have another chart from great lakes fishing that backs up the precision trolling #'s. either way dremarquis can use these charts to help him out. tight lines.

Edited by steelydan

Size #1 dipsy 300' out will get you about 80' down on wire or braid.  A mag Dipsy with no ring 300' out will get you 110' down.  A Mag sized Deeper Diver 300' out will get you about 118' down.  Based on a flasher/fly trolled at 2.25 mph down speed.  Depths are based on my own experience with tapping bottom.

For those of you more adventurous than me (I'm kind of attached to mine) you could tell within 5 ft of where your actual diver AND attractor is running by attaching a Fish Hawk TD to the wire and check the depth (and the temp at that depth)  and correlate it with the readings on your line counter and speed on depth finder/GPS.  I think that because of a variety of real life situational factors not taken into account in most of the chart info I've seen (e.g. directional current forces/speed, type of attractor and lures combined with a diver etc.) a lot of the info on the charts is questionable at best.

everyone - thank you so much for all your input - you guys ROCK!

Sk8man wrote:

I think that because of a variety of real life situational factors not taken into account in most of the chart info I've seen (e.g. directional current forces/speed, type of attractor and lures combined with a diver etc.) a lot of the info on the charts is questionable at best.

I think Les is right on with this, but i still like to have some charts as a reference point, and steelydan and others really helped me out

thanks again,

dre