electronics in winter?

lineman49

Just wondering if guys take their electronics off the boats & store them in a warm place for the winter?  I always do , I was told not to let them freeze especially if they are liquid crystal.  Although now that I think of it some are probably used for ice fishing. Not sure if liquid crystal is even used anymore?

Always best to store them inside in consistent temperature. While cold temps affect them corrosion from moisture is even more of a potential problem...The flashers anddepth finders used for ice fishing were designed to be out in the cold temps but I bring my stuff inside when I come home and never leave it out in winter.....also relating to the batteries as I recharge after each use.

I usually take mine out, but last winter I didn't. The boat is outside and covered and thought I might use it during winter. Nothing went wrong, but there are circuit boards that can crack and cause troubles, so I recommend taking them out for safe keeping in the house. But then again, these things were probably sitting around in some unheated cold warehouse or truck trailer in their travels to the store. Condensation is worse than cold, and corrosive action can be a byproduct of it. If its bad enough it could expand, cracking a display. I'm taking mine out this time, its not worth the risk for a few minutes of time removing them.

Sent from my PC36100 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It is a good feeling to have my electronics safely stacked in my basement. I don't know if the cold does anything to them,but if half an ounce of prevention can save me the $3000 replacement cost ,in the basement they go.

Think about this, do you remove the electronics from your vehicle?

Are the electronics in your car subject to the same conditions electronics left in a boat would be, potentially sitting in subfreezing temps for months at a time, or are they regularly brought up to a reasonable ambient temp whenever you use the car, presumably every day?  big difference IMO.

Ditto, Ditto rolmops.

Tim

Are the electronics in your car subject to the same conditions electronics left in a boat would be, potentially sitting in subfreezing temps for months at a time, or are they regularly brought up to a reasonable ambient temp whenever you use the car, presumably every day? big difference IMO.

Ditto, Ditto rolmops.

Tim

What about my summer car that doesn't get driven in the winter. That sits outside all winter long.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Lake Ontario United mobile app