Local Boat trailer inspection station

reillym

I've looked high and low for a local station that can inspect a boat trailer,Im coming up with zipo, Im being a little proactive and my new boat won't be out of storage till around April 1st 2014 but the inspection runs out the month before so I was hopeing that I could find a place in the Fulton,Oswego area where I could hoepfully drive up and get er done,I do most of my fishing out of Oswego.Any help would be deeply appreciated 

Any NYS certified inspection station can do it. Many auto repair stations are certified and have their sign out in front stating it.

Trailer inspection is a joke. A violation can cost you three points on your license and send your insurance rates up twelve per cent for forty months. Anyone can check their own warning lights and tire wear. Trailer brakes are unneeded on most small boat trailers. THE INSPECTION STATIONS DO NOT WANT A MECHANIC TO LEAVE A HUNDRED DOLLAR AN HOUR RATED JOB FOR A MEASLY INSPECTION FEE. There are no high income jobs earned from trailer inspections . Workers have to lose time on the job that amounts to more than the inspection fee.

Our people in Albany should end this foolish burden to its citizens.

Like everything else in Albany (government)....it's all about the money....no common sense or logic involved in any of their decisions :lol:

Ever see a small trailer loaded with a 14 foot deep vee, gas cans, fishing gear, and a 30 Hp Motor blow a tire and jack knife off the back end of a suv doing 60 mph on the thruway or turn pike...Thinking in Albany is to try and prevent that from happening..Forum fisherman will keep their gear in order..But there are plenty guys out there that don't...Just my 2 cents worth..

Why would anybody register their boat trailer in NYS?   (Unless you have money to burn).

It's 100% legal for you to register your trailer in Maine.

You can purchase your registration online for $99. That's for 5 Years and no inspection is required!!!!!

Lot's of my friends do this and avoid annual renewal and inspection fees. Just keep your equipment up to snuff and your good to go.

Why would anybody register their boat trailer in NYS?   (Unless you have money to burn).

It's 100% legal for you to register your trailer in Maine.

You can purchase your registration online for $99. That's for 5 Years and no inspection is required!!!!!

Lot's of my friends do this and avoid annual renewal and inspection fees. Just keep your equipment up to snuff and your good to go.

When I transferred my trailer from the guy I bought it from, which was NJ into my name, PA. The marina I use for parts & stuff is also a boat & trailer sales joint also, he made the gvw so I don't need a inspection. This marina treats me well and he is a cool guy to deal with. 

I use Nationaltrailerregistration.com . It's a little bit of a PIA to get set up the first time, but well worth it. You can register trailers sometimes up to 12 years, depending on the type. I love not having to worry about them every year. 

register the trailer in Main.  It's good for two years, MUCH cheaper, and no inspection required.  Assuming someone takes care of their boat, they also take care of the trailer.  Been doing it for years on multiple types of trailers, never had any issues.

edit.  Whoops.  Just saw Bigfoot's post.  Agree 100%.

Edited by orangediablo