outboard oil?

finsntins

i was in gander mountain the other day and came to the oil isle and was looking at prices.mercury and yamaha oil was between 45 and 55 dollars for a gallon,they had a gallon of starbright oil,synthetic tcw-3,made for all brands of outboards for 28 bucks,i have always used name brand oils in all my sleds and boat motors,but if oil is oil,why spend the extra money???anyone use "aftermarket oil" in their motors?

I run Walmart super tech. Smokes less than amsoil and its only $13 a gallon. Two of my friends also use it with no issues. As you said oil is oil. All of it is made by the same few oil companies and put in different bottles.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not sure what type of oil you were looking at but not all "oil is oil" I have to use the synthetic type in my Optimax and it runs about that price. I suspect that what you were looking at  was something like that rather than just the regular oil.

I run Walmart super tech. Smokes less than amsoil and its only $13 a gallon. Two of my friends also use it with no issues. As you said oil is oil. All of it is made by the same few oil companies and put in different bottles.

Sent from my LG-VS700 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Same here, no problems in my Yamahas.

Be careful about running after market oil if your outboard is still under warranty, it can void the warranty.

That said I have always run the manufactures oil in all my outboards, forty years worth.

I have never had a oil related issue with any of them.

If it aint broke I aint gonna fix it. :)

Good luck with your decision.

Be careful about running after market oil if your outboard is still under warranty, it can void the warranty.

That said I have always run the manufactures oil in all my outboards, forty years worth.

I have never had a oil related issue with any of them.

If it aint broke I aint gonna fix it. :)

Good luck with your decision.

Two stroke motors use the only once and it is done. Four stroke engines use the oil continuously until it is changed. I would want the best oil for my four stroke but my twenty year old two stroke keeps on running using the cheaper oil.

Use any two stroke oil AS LONG as it has TCW3 in it. That's the key.

All older motors should run 32:1 mixture, your motor will be happy.

Just how old are you talking about.

My 20 + year old Evinrude I currently run on a 16 ft Alumicraft is a 50:1 mixture and I believe the 7 1/2 hp Mercury I bought new in 78 also ran 50:1

Same here.... 50 to 1 on my 1987 9.9 Johnson and I've used the Super Tech oil interchanged with the Merc and Evinrude stuff for years without trouble or seeing any difference in performance.

Edited by Sk8man

Just how old are you talking about.

My 20 + year old Evinrude I currently run on a 16 ft Alumicraft is a 50:1 mixture and I believe the 7 1/2 hp Mercury I bought new in 78 also ran 50:1

The gas we get now is crap compared to the gas from 20 years ago. Back then you could get away with it, but today, why take a chance. A little more oil will never hurt a 2 stroke.