Adding a litle weight

Goatboy

I have a Islander 221V and it's a little light in the water, great for gas mileage but I get beat up in the chop. I was wondering if any one has added a couple of sandbags in the cuddy and found it Beneficial ? Is it Worth the effort to dismantle the cuddy bed and what will I find under there?

I have looked into it. Many on here say add 200 pounds of sandbags in the front. My concern was more for the planing off than anything. I might try it this summer to see how it works out

I would think it might be wise to experiment to see what might do the trick without adding too much weight  initially up front as it will effect your top speed, trolling and the way your boat handles. I'd go with the minimum you need to keep the bow down to come up on plane and still handle OK and cut through the water fine at lower speeds while trolling. Every boat is different in terms of weight distribution and it will take some experimentation to get the right  "balance". 

Sell it and buy a fiberglass. Haha

Make sure you put the sand bags at the lowest possible point to keep the handling the same.

If bow rise is a concern add leveling tabs. I know there are non hydraulic tabs that run on a spring they seem to work wonders on light boats.

Sent from my thinking car!

Sell it and buy a fiberglass. Haha

Make sure you put the sand bags at the lowest possible point to keep the handling the same.

If bow rise is a concern add leveling tabs. I know there are non hydraulic tabs that run on a spring they seem to work wonders on light boats.

Sent from my thinking car!

yeah I have looked into all the different models. Conan try the easiest rout first. I would expect I will add tabs at some point though

I put 200# sand as far up & low as I could go in my Islander. Made a huge difference!. Rebalanced it when I added the kicker. It's still a little, tin boat, but it handles and comes out of the hole better. -Andy

Didn't add weight, but a dolefin on the cavation plate on the outdrive stopped the bouncing and banging when running.   Mine is a  1988  22'  hardtop.   The fin made a huge differance.

Edited by Big Dave

Didn't add weight, but a dolefin on the cavation plate on the outdrive stopped the bouncing and banging when running.   Mine is a  1988  22'  hardtop.   The fin made a huge differance.

I think I might go that route as well. My cavitation plate already had holes in it I think from a trolling plate. A long time ago we added one of the hydra troll fins and trolling plates to my dad's boat. It made a huge difference for sure getting on plane and staying there