Otterboats dont seem to pull hard enough

Hi guys,

Anyone else have this problem and have any hints on how I can fix it. A few issues Ive had.....

1. If letting them out too fast, they dive, AND DIVE HARD!!! To combat this I now just let them out very slowly, but I doubt they are supposed to do this at all!
  2. When pulling even just 2 or 3 colors of lead for shallow trolling they sag back, I used to have the yellow Riviera boards and they did not do this, I have made 4 knot loops in the string to try and find the right setting to make these pull harder, still haven't got it right yet.
  3. Tried the recommended 9" from the front and 14" from the back knot...still not much difference.
  4. Tried ordering the 2nd keel Atomik just happened to be out of them and  cant seem to find them anywhere else....

Anyone else have any other info to offer? I have a Great Lakers Planer Rocket launcher with the planer reels built on to them, so the lines are coming from a nice high angle to the boards....

Pic of the boat attached to see the setup

WP_20140502_007_zps9e29dafd.jpg

Thanks!!

Edited by SmellsLikeFishNH

I had the same issues  what speed  are you trolling at ?  I played  with the   strings like  10 times  and then it seemed to work right   for me  also  using  washers  on the back side so  you don't get a pull through.     I   did get the   2nd keel this year and it helps more.   I know  it was a pain in the ass  playing with them    but at last I   got them  to work

I run between 1.7 and 2.4.....nothing dramatic....

Im gonna play with the knots again this weekend, just getting really frustrated listening to my buddy complain that they don't pull hard enough compared to his. I contacted Big Jon and they are out of stock on the 2nd keels....

yea you need the 2nd keels.  they come with a diagram i think its 14 and 9.  do that exactly and never mess with them again. and you drill new holes an inch below the stock ones to tie into

Edited by BrokeOff

Had the same issue with mine when they were new. Dial in the rope lengths and that will fix it. Put the half keels on last year and now they pull real hard. Good for weighted lines but just about impossible for flatlines. I use double boards now for spring brown fishing and save the otter boats for summer fishing...

We run ours 9.5" from the knot to the front hole, and 11.5" from the knot to the back hole. Drill another hole 1/2-1" below the stock hole (this helps more when your long heavy coppers get down near the board). Also, the second keel with a half weight will help.