What do you tourney guys prefer? Slugfest or Tough fishing?

When fishing a tourney.....  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer a slaughter fest or a tough bite?

• Slaughter 20+ bites
    • Tough to scratch out your tourney limit

I've had a couple of people mention how the fishing at the WHI (and the old Wilson Scotty) has only been great 2 out of the 6 years that an event has taken place on that weekend. So, I asked myself would I want a slug fest, or a tough tourney? I'd like to take a vote, and hear your responses.

Edited by Yankee Troller

I think good fishing helps tournaments showcase a fishery. However, from a competitors point of view I always seem to do better in the tough, "grind a bite" tournaments.

And I did NOT get my first ever zero this weekend---I DQ'd myself. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great question Rick! I suppose it depends. As stated, better fishing would help promote the tournament as those running charters would have happier clients, pictures/videos on the boats and at the awards ceremony would be more impressive which in return would offer better feedback to sponsors, and it offers a different set of decisions to be made by the teams: bang out your numbers or alter your presentation/location in search for bigger fish. A tough bite lends itself to tough decisions and brings out all the skills possessed on each team. Either situation has its element of luck (landing on a pod of bigger kings or simply A KING like this past weekend). I think I would lean towards a slugfest though simply for the promotional aspect and our current push is to show-off our amazing fishery and draw in more attention/interest.

Problem with difficult fishing in a NO-Communication event is that you have no idea if everyone else is struggling also. This past weekend had to be the toughest Salmon fishing in a long long time. The boat I was on was marking fish one after another along with huge bait pods but no matter what they did they couldn't get them to turn on. 

It was refreshing to see most of the top Lake O teams struggle like that. Kind of puts it into perspective for me. 

When fishing is great, you do not learn much.  Tough bite forces you to put the pieces of the puzzle together or try something that you normally would not try.  We all love a good blood bath but easy is not always better! 

Just a question. When the WHI began it was Kings only. If the majority wants a tough bite, why where

Coho's put in the mix? Great tournament, well managed, the best of the best out there, a little pricey for my wallet so I will stick with Observing. Drop the Coho and really test your skills.

See ya at the Niagara Pro/Am.

Shade