Conesus or Honeoye Walleye ?

fireplug

Thinking of trying to catch some Walleye tomorrow evening, either Conesus or Honeyoe.  Never caught one before, was wondering if you "eye-getters" could point me in the right direction.  Was planning on launching about 6:30 - 7:00 pm; will bring my inline planer rods, slip bobbers/shiners, crawlers and jigs, stick baits, and even downriggers if you think I should try them.  

Would prefer to head over to fish with Justin, but the 2 hour drive is rough right now with all the work needed @ the Fireplug compound.

Any help would be appreciated.  

Edited by fireplug

Fireplug, You probobly wouldnt want to make the two hour trek over now. The fishing is starting to get tough between weeds and I think some of the fish are starting to get into their summer pattern. Besides, Conesus has just as many if not more big fish than here you just gotta figure out how to catch them.  I am not sure if there is a night(alweif) bite on conesus but if there is obviously throwing stick baits are you first course of action otherwise youll want to troll and Im sure if you PM Justin he can tell you what to try and speed.

Good Fishing

Brent

They aren't the easiest species to catch in either lake but if it were me I think I would be opting for Conesus because right now Honeoye is getting choked with weeds and it is hard to troll anything productively. Worm harnesses work well there though but again this late it is a problem trolling with all the weeds. The best time there is right when the season starts for a couple or three weeks.

Thanks, guys. I missed the first portion of the season due to boat issues and other reasons.  I will try to get out and catch a pike or two, and then switch over to an 'eye attempt for awhile.  I understand how hard they can get, they are on my bucket list for 2014, along with Tiger Muskie - so if it can happen this weekend, Conesus is my best shot at either/both.

Appreciate the advice, it may just be awhile before it happens. Been fishing over 40 years now, I guess I should have learned patience by now :P  

The Tiger Muskie are easier to catch in conesus than the walleye are.

Fished for and caught big pike and muskellunge before, didn't figure they were that different from Tigers.   Walleye, however....... I know it will be a lot of luck - but that is okay!

It isnt luck...just takes lotsa fishing to pattern them. Finger lakes walleye fishing tends to be a locals bite because it takes some time to learn to target them consistently. It isnt like they are easy for anyone!

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I understand the walleye aren't easy.  Today, la familia obligations actually made my decisions for me - drove to S. end of Hemlock (10 minute drive) and tried for pickerel, bass and perch.  Pretty sad, but there wasn't much of anything happening there today.  Two (2) small fish, and a dozen teeny-tiny ones.  Oh well - there is next weekend, right???  :doh:

fireplug......you know over the past few seasons some very nice walleyes.....big ones.....not numbers at all, have been coming out of Hemlock incidentally by people targeting the salmonids there. trolling the marks on fishfinders. Not a really "you can count on it" deal, but worth it when it happens. Try targeting mid level marks with sticks, if you can....anytime you can..... ;)

Edited by panfisher