Recomendations for Spinning Combo Needed

Iceman

Haven't done any casting in a long time, & need to get a good quality spinning rod, reel & line combo to throw Jr. Thundersticks & Rapala's.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.  :)

John

I like the shimano stradics paired with a 7ft fast action medium power im8 graphite rod.  I have many different rods and reels and these are the boat favorites.  I use 15-20 lb braid and seaguar blue label flouro leader.  Flouro mainline works, but if you cant cast it unless you use light line (4-6).  Sensitivity is the key and braid shines for that.  Also flouro sinks and that isnt desirable once the weeds come up.  Limp line also helps when you pause on the retrieve.  Any line that coils up with slack is going to be harder to feel light hits on the pause.  

I have been using Nanofil line with flouro leaders on a couple 360 Penn Slammer reels the last couple years. It floats doesn't coil and doesn't seem to tangle like some of the braids. It also casts extremely well. I'm still using a couple Bass Pro medium action IM7 rods that have served me well for years.

I have the Pfleuger presidents as well, paired with Nanofil and a  medium lite fast action St.Croix 7' 1 piece rod.  They are a very sensitive rig.

If you are planning on casting size 14 and 18 rapalas for big walleye id go medium power. If you are casting smaller sticks then medium lite. Lighter reels balance better on lighter power, shorter rods and conversely larger heavier reels balance better on heavier longer rods. Just depends on what size lure you are throwing.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app