Ruff Rider Sodus Live Report 2014 Aug 8-10

Normally when they start to blacken up the numbers are there....maybe not a good sign

Edited by Sk8man

We fished Mexico last week, went 3-6 sun with 2 Steelhead and a King. Broke one off and dropped two. Had good temp down 80 from 120FOW all the way to 380FOW. Sounds like where you are, some bait 80-90 down but no marks. Thought both finders where broke. Had more releases than I marked fish. Good luck guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There's a new ice cream parlor in Sodus Point, right where Ridge Rd hit Rt14, Centro's Brain Freeze.

IMAG1630.jpg

Theresa and I hit it up on the way home today. It was pretty good with some different flavors from the Perrys everyone else in the 10 mile radius sells.

It looks like they also have coffees and will soon have some bulk candy.

IMAG1632.jpg

IMAG1631.jpg

We got the Fishermans Fly Fudge, which was vanilla ice cream with fudge swirls, m&ms, and cookie dough. I also got a scoop of mint chocolate chip in mine. The chocolate dipped waffle cone was excellent!

IMAG1634.jpg

What happen to your diet ???

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ummm.... hmmm... ummm... what was the question again?

I was doing pretty good until a tray full of brownies showed up at my boat! :)

The fish are here, lots of marks. My best guess is there is so much bait they dont want our lures.

Yup, that's what I'm a thinkin.  Just hanging on the bottom most of the time. Not much need to search long for a snack.

So as I lay here unable to sleep, a new thought has begun to formulate in my brain...

While my buddy John was reeling the king in today and I was standing on the swim platform waiting to net it, I was amazed by how clear the water was and that I could see the fish nearly twenty feet down. This clear water was reaffirmed when we reeled our dipseys in and I could see there flash much deeper than normal.

So here's my hypothesis...

Every year we get a large outbreak of water fleas. These large populations normally crash after an upwelling. This year they have been worse than I can ever remember and for longer than I remember. My thought is they are filtering the water to an above normal clarity. This is putting an extra spook on the fish both from increased light penetration and boat traffic.

When the fleas start to disappear (seemed they were finally starting to die off this weekend) and the plankton has a few days to recover, fishing will return to normal for August.