Legacy- 2014 Deer Woods

Legacy

Last night warm and calm, kicked a buck up on the way in and grunted a six in at 6pm. All corn still up, I've seen young bucks running does this week. Doe practically absent all week, camera for past week was really slow with the fewest shots, but one shooter I saw Tuesday evening at sunset.SE PA.

Thanks for sharing this, I like these types of research. Hard to dispute. It really aligns with the good ole myth of " the rut is going to be early this year". Definitely separates the movement activity vs the actual breeding period topics or disagreements. Good stuff. But it's like the in the ground, you can't win if your not in it or in this case, in the stand.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Wow the deer were on their feet before sunrise. 3 deer with racks and a fourth that I'm unsure (too dark to tell). Here's a pic of one my headlights caught pulling in ( he's missing his entire right antler)

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It is not going to change year to year as the rut timing has been built into the DNA over the eons.  I can tell you if you are looking for "THE" time to be in the woods, there were dead deer all over the roads on the weekend of Oct 11th.  If those dead deer were the result of a few deer hitting the early rut cycle, then extrapolate 30 days from there for the peak in WNY.  I would put the date at the weekend of NOVEMBER 10th.

I think it will start sometime next week and go throughout the weekend.  Normally peak rut is only 2 or 3 days.  That isn't saying it won't be good for 2 weeks after but If I had to guess 5th 6th and 7th.

It is not going to change year to year as the rut timing has been built into the DNA over the eons.  I can tell you if you are looking for "THE" time to be in the woods, there were dead deer all over the roads on the weekend of Oct 11th.  If those dead deer were the result of a few deer hitting the early rut cycle, then extrapolate 30 days from there for the peak in WNY.  I would put the date at the weekend of NOVEMBER 10th.

That weekend of Veterans day has always been my favorite weekend to hunt.

It is not going to change year to year as the rut timing has been built into the DNA over the eons. I can tell you if you are looking for "THE" time to be in the woods, there were dead deer all over the roads on the weekend of Oct 11th. If those dead deer were the result of a few deer hitting the early rut cycle, then extrapolate 30 days from there for the peak in WNY. I would put the date at the weekend of NOVEMBER 10th.

excellent advice, always some older doe in heat October 6 to 12th. The end of this week starting with cold front should be prime hunting. Edited by Roughrider IV

In my travels across the country I have noticed pockets of intense activity along the highways. Not large pockets but areas where the terrain and habitat are good for deer which is not unusual but not all the areas are active. For instance, along the I 90 from Saratoga to Chicago last night. I drive during hours 3 am to 3pm, Cher teams with me at the other 12 hour shift.

Here's what we notice from the road.

The thru way has had its share of deer carcasses and smear marks in the road, also a lot of standing feeding deer along the shoulder. As you can imagine, we drive with eyes wide open at the dark hours and see most of the animals...except for the ones that are on a dead run into the road. In comparison last night to Buffalo. The city deer got slaughtered on 90 in the city limits. 4 were on the westbound side between the toll booths. Then a huge slaughter according to Cher as she described dozens to about Erie Pa. Then again in Ohio as she described SCARY BAD slaughter and lost count before Cleveland, and she slowed down even more! Lol... then it was like there was no activity west of Cleveland and I took the helm at 3:30 am at Indiana. Weirdly there was no deer activities and no slaughtered carcasses through Indiana and there are 100s of deer in many fields feeding all the time. I did notice in western Indiana, a 150s buck two days ago that was just at dusk and he had the familiar posture of a buck on the hunt. Head high, looking left and right over the shoulders, and not feeding, nose whipping up in sample.

Illinois has had lots of activities along I57 many slaughtered each trip through for the past 2 weeks. Some Kentucky deer getting hit but not many. Tennessee on south to Georgia has been pretty quiet so far. Missouri has been moderate in deer smeared but one night there were many in a small stretch and a few trucks busted radiators on the shoulder. Oklahoma has had a few hits.

Right now it is NY Buffalo to Pa. With Ohio along the I 90 that has been very bad for deer crashes. Last night was worse than any so far.

I'm still offering free fender rides and gaining 88 FPS on your arrows velocity! Or maybe 60 ish FPS.... We get slower as the season progresses Lol!

Cent frum my notso smart fone

Lol. Same here. I think I need to fill some squirrel nuisance permits. It doesn't help much that the oaks are still dropping acorns on top of me.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app