Legacy- 2014 Deer Woods

Legacy

It was definitely a tough year and not the deer numbers I had expected to see. I left for my deployment to McMurdo station before the end of the season which I heard it picked up a little in the end of rifle and into muzzleloader but overall it seemed to be a relatively slow year. That being said I think I saw more mature bucks taken this year than any other which is good for the future of the sport. This thread has been one of the best I've ever been apart of on any forum. It was cool to be able to get everyones own little stories from all different areas and see the success that some had, it was definitely cool to be a part of it. 

The short version: great season, good numbers of deer in each of the four (widely scattered) spots that I hunt, with the best activity coming in early November. 

I shot four doe, two with the bow and two with the gun. One of those went to a single Mom who lives on one of the properties and two of them went to my grad students. One deer will last me and my two girls the year. I passed on numerous small to medium bucks, had a close encounter with a shooter ten, and passed on a shooter eight during late bow. Overall, the number of large bucks that I saw was down for the year, but the number of small bucks and doe was up.

My experiences during late bow tell me that there were quite a few deer in at least a couple areas I hunt that made it through the season, including some nice bucks, so anticipation is high for next year.

Definitely the toughest seasons if you are "trophy hunting" . And for me that consists of deer sightings/harvest that are 3 1/2 and older. I did see a huge number of 1st racked bucks and does. It seemed that the doe's this year were unusually small in size where I hunt. Be able to harvest a mature doe with my 5 year old son in the blind with me was definitely the high light of my season. As others have said, this was a great thread all season long. Thanks and we will have to do it again next year!

I agree, great to hear everyone else and what they were seeing. I felt like there was a ton of does each time and a lot of small bucks. Really the only shooter I saw was what I got with the bow. Very unusual for where I hunt not to see 4-5 at least. Bought the new No Can from Matthews last weekend, very pumped for next season to break it in!

This was no doubt one of the tougher years for quality bucks. Our group of many years managed to get 2 bucks that will hit 140 mark. We usually see and capture a few more mature bucks then that. The numbers are down even in southern monroe, ontario counties where most of our hunts take place. A good friend owns and manages 600 acres in naples/prattsburg area that we hunt and that is dismal as well.  The numbers just are not what they were and will probably never be will again. The state will never change their attitude, just like the big pond. Oh well, suck it up, deal with it, and carry on. Have a great holiday season.

A couple of thoughts on the season.  I predicted a great opening southern gun opening weekend due to the timing and the cold temps.  WOW was I wrong!  Very few shots rang out on the state land I was hunting on.  Nobody in our group put a tag on a buck.  More disappointing was the lack of big buck sightings throughout the whole season including bow by everybody I have talked to.  The biggest buck I saw was the cull buck I shot during bow season.  Reasons?.....a few  things come to mind.  First, with outdoor TV growing, more and more guys are sitting in comfortable treestands and not moving deer with deer drives.  Better options for scent-free camo clothing means less pushing deer when walking to the stand.  Second, we had a bad winter that probably had a negative effect on deer numbers AND antler growth.  Third,  is more of a question......has some of the diseases effecting western deer present in NY and we are not aware of it?  To date the DEC states that none of the CWD or EHD problems have been detected here but there is always going to be a lag between when a disease hits and when it is discovered (see also WTF happened to the kings this year?).

In Wyoming County where I hunt I think I saw more bucks than ever.I went for like 35 to 40 days with at least seeing 1 or more buck,and as many as 10.As everyone else has said I saw very few mature bucks.Saw a few that may have pushed 140s maybe 2 in the low 140s.I saw lots of nice up coming smaller 8 points.Doe numbers were very low where I  was hunting I would say about 1 to 1 buck to doe.With so few doe I had never seen so many smaller 1 honed bucks must have seen at least 15.Other areas around were I hunt everyone said there were high doe #s so I don't think there is any problem with the doe population.Hopefully some of the nicer up coming bucks I passed on made it threw.I know a least 2  got wounded and probably will not.The last week of season I passed up a nice 8 (30 yards) that I probably would have  shooting if I wasn't in such a difficult spot to recover it.I could see 2 hunters about 200 yards from me on top of a very vertical hill almost unwalkable.2 hours later they took  over 100 plus yard shot and wounded the buck stayed on top for another hour plus and then just left,Never even tracked it.When I was leaving I cut the bucks tracks and sure enough lots of blood.I tracked it for a ways it looked like he was dragging a leg.2 or 3 days later I went back to the same area for a evening hunt this time I stayed up on top hoping to catch deer at the top on there way to the fields.It didn't seem like any one else was around(no tracks in the snow)   soon as I get set up I here a shot very close to me and see deer scrambling all over the bottom including a nice buck.When I left I saw 2 sets of human tracks that must of came in right behind me Figured it was the same 2 dirt bags that had wounded the other buck.The next day I went to the same area and a truck pulled in right behind me with 2 guys.I talked to them on the way in and they said they hit a nice buck the night before.I  went to my stand on the bottom.Once down there I could see 1 of them on top in the exact spot as they were in when they shot the 1st buck and I knew it was the same dirt bags.Sorry for the rant but that is what is going on were I hunt = lack of Mature bucks.I see similar thing every year.The last buck I shot where these dirt bags were wounding these bucks took me 6 hours and 3 comealongs to retrieve.Trophy only for me.I wonder how many these guys and others like them have cost me and other ethical hunters like me makes me sick.This is not private land so it is not like I can do much about it.       

Legacy Rob, great idea and I enjoyed reading your summary. Congrats on your son joining the ranks, priceless memories will be made.

I have to agree, for the most part deer numbers are down and in some areas the free flowing doe tags dont make sense. Sure in the sanctuarys of 5 to 40 acre parcels with no hunting taking place it can appear over populated, but where typical pressure is occuring it does seem the herd is down.

Sean, your venting is understandable. The NYS Whitetail experience must be taken with a grain of salt. I only recently started hunting out of state, but if I had to give up one or the other it would be NY as careless behavior and blown hunts are the norm whether on public or private.

Hit some state land yesterday to grouse hunt and look for new deer hunting areas.  I could not believe the fresh scrapes and rubs all over the place. 

The time to scout for next year is now. A little snow on the ground would be a nice help too.

Hit some state land yesterday to grouse hunt and look for new deer hunting areas.  I could not believe the fresh scrapes and rubs all over the place. 

I saw more fresh rubs in the last 2 weeks of deer season than the rest of the season combined.