Deer season was no good, time for small game!

dawsonscreek

Well my deer season was very unproductive. I saw lots of people with great success and some that struggled as I did. Now is the time for the fun, relaxing hunts. Bullspitting with your buddies till ducks are spotted or till the dog brings the rabbit around is what I love about small game. Hope that everybody who small game hunts has a safe and productive winter! I'm off to a good start so far! post-148029-14188453274372_thumb.jpgpost-148029-14188452896212_thumb.jpg

rabbits!!!  Love em and love hunting them.

Love beagles too!

Squirrels - not so much.

I'm just getting back into squirrel hunting. It's how I started, I think it's how most hunters start. I really enjoyed myself on the last squirrel hunt, gotta fill the freezer with something this year  :) Rabbits are always a blast, especially with a beagle.

Edited by dawsonscreek

wish I had somewhere to hunt small game that is productive

It is tough to find good spots anymore. The place I hunt is a hunting lease that I am on, which seems to be the story for most land around anymore. Either it's controlled by a lease and you have to pay what is usually a lot of money to hunt, or the landowner doesn't give out permission. I live near Erwin/Addsion and there is one particular lease that controls gobs of land along that area. I'm not familiar with Waverly, but Erwin has a large chunk of state land that has good squirrel hunting and decent grouse hunting on it if you're looking for a place to go let me know and I'll try and point you in the right direction.

Edited by dawsonscreek

Just got back into beagling and picked up a pup in the spring and have put alot of hours in training and alot of tracks between her feet.. lookin forward to gunnin alot of bunnies down this winter

Short clip of her few weeks back.. 8months old in the vid (pup is the lead dog)

Pup leading:

Edited by Chromeslayer

I'm just getting back into squirrel hunting. It's how I started, I think it's how most hunters start. I really enjoyed myself on the last squirrel hunt, gotta fill the freezer with something this year  :) Rabbits are always a blast, especially with a beagle.

yes it is how I started for sure.

I ask a lot of permission. Remember, a lot of the land owners that will say no to you for deer will say yes to you for small game and spring turkey.  It is a good oportunity to show them what kind of person you are in an effort to move toward a familiar relationship - hopefully positive.

There is a farmer that I cook meals for (Venison, rabbit, Pheasant... etc) that I have only hunted once.  He will let me hunt whenever I want.  I gave most of my deer to another landowner years back.  That is the kind of relationship I want to forge with land owners.  That get something positive from me to show my appreciation.  Let him know when you see something amiss and offer to help them with it.

Nothing will work with tree huggers and unfortunately rabbits are cuter than deer.

I started hunting squirells when I was 8.  By 11, I was hunting rabbits (alone) By 14, me and both beagles were gone from sun up to sun down and not just in the winter but the fall too.  Great way for any youngster to wet his feet and feel his manhood (figuretively).

Pheasant hunting has been excellent this year.  Not sure if they put more birds out this year?  Tinkerbelle has been giving me the sad eyes when she sees my deer hunting stuff by the door all season.  This weekend thru Feb. I will be chasing grouse and ringnecks.  Best table-fare by far..... esp crockpot Pheasant!  :ninja:  :ninja:

Edited by Gill-T