Do or do not eat.

rolmops

Blame it on cabin fever.

I've been reading now for years about  the FDA and the DEC suggestions concerning consumption of fish caught in NY State. Whether or not we heed this advice is our own business. I just wonder if the DEC does the same general testing on deer and ducks and turkeys or squirrels and crows for that matter. Are there any consumption advisories on hunted food?

Edited by rolmops

I can't speak on the waterfowl, but there isn't any on the mammals and the wild game is a treasured gift for local food banks when hunters choose to donate venison.

Theres a reason wild game abounds all around in areas not ruined by concrete--its a gift to be used and managed properly.

I will tell you one thing, there should be advisories on 90 percent of whats sold in the grocery stores.

I can't speak on the waterfowl, but there isn't any on the mammals and the wild game is a treasured gift for local food banks when hunters choose to donate venison.

Theres a reason wild game abounds all around in areas not ruined by concrete--its a gift to be used and managed properly.

I will tell you one thing, there should be advisories on 90 percent of whats sold in the grocery stores.

Totally agree!! Wild game is BY FAR much better for you than what you buy at the stores! Every thing is pumped full of preservatives for longer shelf life with disregard of people's health.

Just don't eat the lead that killed the critter. Don't eat raw meat. Use fire to tender the flesh and kill pathogens. I don't try to eat crow unless my other half forces me to.

USDA inspected at packing. Preserved, enhanced, colored, cryopacked....

Warehoused, trucked, Warehoused again, trucked again, stored for sale. Refrigeration non stop? Maybe. USDA stamped how long ago? Ok okay eat vegetables...wait..😞where did they come from? 😔

Never saw a wild critter suffer with steroids growing faster than it's metabolism can handle. Unless it's Kobe beef. 25 bucks a pound. Because it's better for ya! Just like deer about the same per pound...like the Salmon we catch.

Ugh..now I got cabin fever! Its contagious!

Edited by skipper19

Its my understanding that the specs. for the fish is for the whole fish.  That takes in all cultures that use some or all of the fish in the meal.  The way you clean and prepare the fish makes a differance is what bad stuff you could get from the meal. 

I recently received a survey to have my blood tested by the NYS department of health. They were looking for anglers that eat fish out of Lake Ontario. ALL of my levels came back way below the levels of concern. I asked the lady from the DOH why they grind the entire fish to test for contaminants. She told me it was because some people use the entire fish for a meal (boiling heads for fish head soup was one of the ways the used more than the meat). I eat a lot of perch, pike and trout and salmon. As long as you eat in moderation and filet the belly fat off, I would not hesitate to eat Lake Ontario fish. Besides, the oceans are not any cleaner. You do not have third world countries dumping god knows what into Lake Ontario.

So probably 30 to 50 times a year I get customers ask me if these fish are safe to eat. I look at them and start laughing, because most of them have a cig or a beer or both in their hands. What? they say, what's so damn funny???? I say I have never heard of anyone dying from eating fish unlike tobacco and alcohol where how many die everyday. They usually say you got a point there. Then I go on to explain to them that they grind the whole fish up for study. I remember back in the early to mid eighties cornell did a study from properly fillets of brown, laker, salmon. They came back with most of our drinking water was more contaminated then the fish. They also said there was more contaminates in a jar of peanut butter. I kept that paper work on my boat for the longest time. I would love to have somebody find that study again. Me, if it runs, swims, or flies I hunt it and eat it.

I have a friend that doesn't want to eat any fish from the great lakes, even perch and walleye, but has no issue eating fish from most anywhere else. He likes Silver Lake but never wants to see any studies from it showing the issues the lake has.

This is from the DEC waterfowl regulations:

HEALTH ADVISORY

Mergansers are the most heavily contaminated waterfowl species

and should not be eaten. Eat no more than two meals per month of

other wild waterfowl; you should skin them and remove all fat before

cooking and discard stuffing after cooking. Wood ducks and Canada

geese are less contaminated than other wild waterfowl species, and

diving ducks are more contaminated than dabbler ducks.