Kicker mount- can't decide

Bonzoso

Just an FYI but although it may make a difference torque wise the weight will be basically the same because the 9.9 and 15 are the same motor but with different carburation.

The 15 is an 87 evenrude long shaft

The 9.9 is a 2000 Yamaha short shaft.

Maybe the same as far as engine but I can say , the 9.9 Yamaha is WAY heavier , at least from a lifting it up and ( trying ) to carry it stand point . Lol.

I looked at the specs from both the 71056 & 71033 . The width & height of the mounting plate to the transom is the same.

Basically it came down to the *** they put next to the 71033 saying it was reinforced with heavier parts .

I'm sure either would be fine but hopefully reinforcement is a better thing, I hope ..

I have basically the kicker you are talking about and I've had it mounted since 2002 and never a problem. I have never had to adjust it either and I am sometimes running in excess of 50 mph and it has survived some rough water as well over the years. It is rated for a max of 115 lbs or 20 hp. It is made by Garelick. It is the stainless steel version.  Here is a pic of of the mounting.

I have the same one.  It is awesome and works great.

The 15 is an 87 evenrude long shaft

The 9.9 is a 2000 Yamaha short shaft.

Maybe the same as far as engine but I can say , the 9.9 Yamaha is WAY heavier , at least from a lifting it up and ( trying ) to carry it stand point . Lol.

I looked at the specs from both the 71056 & 71033 . The width & height of the mounting plate to the transom is the same.

Basically it came down to the *** they put next to the 71033 saying it was reinforced with heavier parts .

I'm sure either would be fine but hopefully reinforcement is a better thing, I hope ..

After running a kicker I would extremely hesitant to buy a short shaft if you have a 20" or 25" transom.  I converted my little 8hp johnson to a long shaft after trying it as a  short shaft.  There wasn't enough clear water to allow it to properly work.

I'm leaning towards this one.

http://adventuremarine.ca/boat-accessories/9-high-thrust-outboard-motor-bracket.html

I want a fixed mount with a a good setback so I can easily tilt the motor for running and these are pricey, but look bulletproof. 

A  friend (Big Easy here on LOU) has this on his Seacraft and it looks awesome

IMG_1581.jpg

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

Not intending to put the short shaft on the starcraft islander.

Background story :

Had( have) a 1955 Johnson 7.5 sea horse that was my baby on my 14' Jon- boat UNTIL it didn't like ethanol , at all !! I would clean the carb, tank and new lines but it started to strand me a few times.

Striper season was fast approaching and I NEEDED another motor fast.

Brother in law had the 15 hp long shaft for a reasonable price so I figured why not.. DUMB move putting a long shaft on a short transom. The thing would fly, I mean like no steering control and like a kite in the wind. It got me through the season but boy was it a hairy ride sometimes.

Then so happened a 9.9 short shaft came my way and it was PERFECT for my Jon - Boat .

Hence I now have 3 outboards in my basement ( the carry weight thing ) and might as well put the 15 hp long shaft to good use on the back of the islander because its not if the main motor will give me a problem , its when. Having a kicker on the big Lake Ontario seems like insurance that's cheap.

I'm leaning towards this one.

http://adventuremarine.ca/boat-accessories/9-high-thrust-outboard-motor-bracket.html

I want a fixed mount with a a good setback so I can easily tilt the motor for running and these are pricey, but look bulletproof. 

A  friend (Big Easy here on LOU) has this on his Seacraft and it looks awesome

IMG_1581.jpg

Tim

It sure looks nice,but it has its own problems.

When you go through a wave,your stern will be high on the water and sometimes it will be almost completely out of the water. With a bracket placing the kicker that far behind the transom,the wave action will cause the prop to come out of the water and the engine will start racing every time you go through a wave. In my opinion it is better to have the kicker as close to the transom as possible.

It sure looks nice,but it has its own problems.

When you go through a wave,your stern will be high on the water and sometimes it will be almost completely out of the water. With a bracket placing the kicker that far behind the transom,the wave action will cause the prop to come out of the water and the engine will start racing every time you go through a wave. In my opinion it is better to have the kicker as close to the transom as possible.

Not to mention when you come off plane it will most likely swamp the motor.  If you have ever seen boats with jack plates you will know what I mean. My father in law has a jack plate for his 225 honda off the back of his boat and the water comes halfway up the cowl.  If he mounted a kicker like above on his boat it would be under water when coming off plane.