New Boat..... Old Gas... What to do?

jimalbert

I guess I'm lucky. Never drain anything. Might be the quart of Lucas fuel conditioner and full bottle of stabil. Each spring I do a seafoam shock treatment (one can in a gallon jug of gas) let it sit for a few hours. Restarting and clean it out with a few jabs on the throttle.

Yamaha OX66 225. If it starts running bad I change filters. All good.

I would get a big mason jar and fill it with the gas and see what color it is. Also smell, it if it smells old compared to what New smells like then drain it

Sent from my thinking chair...

Edited by Chas0218

For over the past 12 years I have kept my tank full of non ethanol gas throughout the season (fill after every outing) and I run marine Stabil all year long and in the Spring on the first time out I add a couple cans of Sea Foam to the 60 gallon gas tank and thus far no fuel related problems ever. I troll with my 9.9 most of the time and use my 135 usually at fairly high speeds so that it doesn't "load up" with carbon build up. I had the same set of plugs for the entire time until last year too.

My 210 is 52 gal , if you have rod lockers in the floor it will be about 42 gal.

IMHO if you not sure drain it, stable ,starton ,all work if added before yoy let it sit. Seafoam will,may work after its nearly bad BUT realy runs hot.

I ruined my carburetor of my lawn mower using old gasoline. The varnish and other crap cost me a lot of money. Getting rid of the old gasoline is another nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Jimalbert- Big trucks, construction equipment, saws, generators, ect are my business. You stated that the motor was winterized and summarized, that leads me to believe that Stabil was probley added to the fuel. Ethanol fuel will  definatly damage older engines and fuel systems if not protected, If Stabil was added you might get lucky, if not your looking at problems, my advice is to get as much old fuel out of the tank and add Seafoam, if there was was no damage caused by the ethanol standing in the fuel system that long- good your lucky, if there is a problem your only out a can of Seafoam. Seafoam is an enhancer and a cleaner, Stabil does just exactly what the name states, it stabilizes the fuel and does a good job of it. Good luck and tight lines  Blackie

The old gasoline has to be stored in safe containers and taken to a County disposal site that operates one day a year. Meanwhile you have your garage loaded with an explosive fuel that endangers your home, your neighbors and responding firefighters that are not knowledgable of the dangerous contents within it. If you buy the containers they are gone and the county only takes a small amount of material yearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I sell Star-Tron at my business...........now I use MMO in all my power-sports equipment including all 4 marine engines, 3, 4 wheelers and 4 snowmobiles, and even occasionally in my automobiles. 

Have NEVER had an issue since the introduction of that.

Saturday I was doing some tree/brush removal in prep for some renovation at my home......chain saw with 4-5 year old gas in it did the work, and started on about the 3-4 pull.

Lucky I guess.

The only thing that I have tried that removes varnish and does it well is E85 ethanol fuel. It will turn the varnish back into a liquid form and allow it to siphoned out. Now for the old gas. If mixed with new gas it will run fine through any car or truck.  I would NOT run straight old gas.  I would also get some of those disposable filters and pour it through that to ensure no debris makes it into the gas tank.  A 50/50 old to new will be fine in a car. I bought my boat and the gas that in the tank was straight gold colored and was a little foul smelling.  No varnish in the tank but I mixed it with fresh gas in my truck and car and didn't have any issues.  Maybe I got lucky but it worked for me.  

Do I recommend doing it? Not really but if you have no other choice it could be a last resort kind of thing.

Small gas engines are much much finicky when it comes to old gas than cars and trucks so personally I wouldn't use them.

http://www.google.com/search?q=e85+to+remove+varnish&oq=e85+to+remove+varnish&aqs=chrome..69i57.5655j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=ssl&safe=active&ssui=on

The new EPA approved fuel six gallon tanks have a closed to the atmosphere system that does not allow the gasoline to vent out in the daytime and allow high humidity air to replace it on cool nights. Our open to the atmosphere fuel tanks are going to be dinosaurs shortly and be ready for changes. The evaporating old gasoline to the environment is a criminal act.

Thanks for all of the advice.. One of my redneck buddies says "Lemme pull my truck down and call my girl to come over and you can put it in our tanks".  So there it was, ample opportunity to get that crap out of my boat tank and even more opportunity to make fun of him if something goes wrong with the gas.  hahha..  

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update... Boat runs just fine with brand new gas.. .and apparently the old stuff wasnt that bad because my buddy is still driving his mustang... hahaha... thanks for all of the help guys.  On another note I have been using Startron in the new gas.

Thanks,

Jim