nine mile/Mexico bay -new thread

The thing with fishing deep is its a better bet after the wind we had. Inside water is unstable, hard to fish, particularly regarding speed. Offshore not so much. But there will be a window of opportunity soon where inside will be your best bet regardless of conditions.

If I only caught 1 % of all the fish I marked it would of been a great weekend. East and west from 100 to 650 fow there was a fish or multiple marks on the screen every 5 minutes. 100 to 200 down. I only fooled 3 Friday and 4 Saturday to only net 3 of total. Bites came on spoons, spin doctors and attractors. No particular color either. I did see a few decent coolers at the fish cleaning station with some majors. Full moon and a drastic change in water temps the last few weekends must have them tight lipped. I can't blame not catching fish on the reason of there being no fish.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If I only caught 1 % of all the fish I marked it would of been a great weekend. East and west from 100 to 650 fow there was a fish or multiple marks on the screen every 5 minutes. 100 to 200 down. I only fooled 3 Friday and 4 Saturday to only net 3 of total. Bites came on spoons, spin doctors and attractors. No particular color either. I did see a few decent coolers at the fish cleaning station with some majors. Full moon and a drastic change in water temps the last few weekends must have them tight lipped. I can't blame not catching fish on the reason of there being no fish.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well that's some pretty big swings from 100-600 fow outta little salmon river ( Mexico ). Like I said , maybe is our location ? We fished out to 450 fow in and out all summer and marked few and caught fewer . Lakers on the bottom I guess were the most abundant . Don't think we made it past 500 fow . What would you estimate the distance ?

I'm not much for beating myself or crew up and in 6 days in Mexico this week we fished 2 . Guess today was the day to be there , lol

Got to learn this summer program much better next season and an experienced captain is what I feel will help 10 fold as suggested .

It's been a fun ride all summer without a doubt and while its not over yet , I'm already looking forward to an earlier start next year as soon as I get the striper slime and herring scales all hosed off :)

We will be at things again on Friday and the following weekend . I'm hoping the lake plays nice again 1-4 ' rollers before I pull the plug . Not much into river style fishing on the lake for salmon so if it plays nice we will venture far . Lakers is not out if the question either . While catching hundreds of lake trout on other waters , we have yet still to catch a Great Lakes lake trout ,,, Humm go figure .. I can only write and report my experiences ..

Thanks for all the help and support everyone has given to myself and crew on our Great Lake Adventures this season :)

Rich

Early last week we caught kings in 720 west of Oswego, then the next morning kings in 85 to 120 in front of the college. Kings are in different stages of their spawning cycle. I will defer to deep water, I hate finicky pre spawn fish. Spoon bite offshore I like much better.

The salmon fishery as we have known it. The few good years were because of the tremendous amount of naturals. Simply look at the return rate of the tagged fish to the hatchery. The numbers don't lie, it has been a steady decline year after year. Yes , Ontario still holds the greatest amount of bait fish of all the Great Lakes. Unless DEC is not releasing what they say they are( which I doubt). The Browns and the slimers are doing fantastic but the Salmon different story.

I agree with you. And throw in the fact that when the adult fishing gets tough, everybody heads out deep to the "hatchery" and catch the two year olds. I think it puts a big strain on the next years adults. Thats What I think happened last year. There were Very few adults around but everybody was raving about the good amount of two year olds out deep. I have good friends out of the charter fleet in OZ. Two year olds made up 70% of their catch this year! They have to catch fish or the clients don't come back. Its a tough situation. Gotta go where the fish are.