Sodus Point 8-25-15 - Kinda rough out there

Sk8man

My friend/neighbor is a skilled bass/walleye/muskie fisherman with years of experience mostly on Lake Erie but had not fished Lake O and had never caught a King salmon despite fishing in Alaska etc. and catching other varieties of salmon. His new to him 20 ft Crestliner boat also had not been tested on "big water" so early this AM we ventured forth at 4:30 AM and headed for Sodus Point. As we were going out of the channel we saw one of the most beautiful sunrises we had either ever seen and no pic can do it justice. The forecast said winds out off the WSW at 5-10 and it was mostly southwest at 10 plus as we entered the lake and then a little later mostly west and building all the while. We trolled northwest out to 300 ft and then angled back as the waves built up to 180 ft of water and wham the 275 wire dipsey with a white spinney and white and chartreuse fly started taking line and the rod bent pretty good I said "there is your king" Dave said "How can you tell" I said "wait a minute and you'll fully realize it too :lol: "  Sure enough the rod bent over and the drag kept going out even when he tightened it down a bit. There were 4-5 ft waves by then so I was in boat control mode and left Dave to his duties and he looked a little perplexed but did a journey man's job of reeling in the fish in very marginal water conditions. At 9:30 AM he has his roughly 15 lb king in the boat for a pic and then after reviving a bit back into the water. He was happy as a clam and said "Geez I'm going to have sore shoulders after that" So I couldn't help myself I replied "They call them kings for a reason". We trolled along with no other hits for hours with the water building all the time and now 15 -20 or so out of the NW and waves 4-6 ft so we trolled back to the channel  as if surfing on the rollers and quit at 1:30PM. I think we now have another convert to the "king game" :lol:

post-145411-0-16609700-1440548159_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-90710200-1440548178_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-11448900-1440548305_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man