question about "combat" fishing for staging salmon

Hi all,

I only fish Lake O once or twice a year and i've only fished for staging salmon once about 8 years ago. My brother from Texas is in town and he has never caught a King, and I'd really like to get him one (or more :)  )

i have a few questions:

Given that there are likely to be many boats near the Genny, do you advise against running planer boards?

If i don't run boards, i was thinking i would run 2 riggers, 2 dipsy rods, and tow lead core with J-plugs. 

Would you still run flasher flies behind a dipsy for staging salmon? What about a J-plug behind a dipsy?

thanks for any advice!

andre

No big boards!!!!! Glow J plugs with rattles,magnum super Glow spoons.... I usually run 3 riggers with spoons 50-60th feet back, slide diver back 75 and out 15 on a 4setting. I will run jplug flat lined on an inline board like a yellowbird. Easy to bring close to the boat when it gets congested.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Agree with MD, I wouldn't run boards as hectic as it was yesterday.   Ran 3 riggers, 2 dipsys and a top line down the chute (didn't think of lead core but that may work better to get down to 15 or 20 ft) - tried running a dipsy with J Plug but no takers.  It was funny to watch the action on the rod though. 

I agree no boards. You will be in shallow water, and tight over fish. Boards will make it complicated. I know some run them, but the salmon are only biting now out of aggression, so the whole stealth thing isn't as good of a game plan as putting some brite colors with lots of movement in front of them.

Having said that, for sure running paddles and flies, j-plugs, etc. is a good idea. Big paddles, bright colors, lots of agitation.

Oh, and believe it or not, sometimes less is more.  My biggest salmon came on when we only have 2 lines in the water (was actually pulling lines to go inshore). We had to lines out going in a fairly tight circle, and a big one hit.  Admittedly that was on a weighted mono line with a Gator Spoon.  But the tight circles over fish is what triggered the bite, it was definitely out of aggression.

plugs and super glow spoons!  we run slide divers and 3 riggers along with big boards w/ flatlines short coppers, and short cores. Oh but wait... thats right i fish Sandy. Combat trolling is me ,three seagulls, and a cormorant. 

plugs and super glow spoons! we run slide divers and 3 riggers along with big boards w/ flatlines short coppers, and short cores. Oh but wait... thats right i fish Sandy. Combat trolling is me ,three seagulls, and a cormorant.

Rob...You are funny man! :lol:

Bet that cormorant gives you a tough go Rob.......and do the seagulls gang up on you like they do on the folks at McDonald"s over the french frries :lol: ?

J-plugs and bright boards with flies (Rrred echip with Hypnotist fly) has been the trick for us this time of year. And no planer boards - you're asking for a lot of trouble if you run them!! We typically run 2 riggers/4 wires unless under 60 fow, then we run 2 riggers/2 wires/shoot line.