Same story on Lake MI as Lake O

Yankee:

Did you know that in 2014, with the lower lake trout stocking and lack of coho, they DID increase the Chinook stocking from 1.4 million to 1.9 million ?

That is a 500,000 increase in chinooks.. Yea maybe to late but yes they did put an increase in Chinook as an off set..

Yankee:

Did you know that in 2014, with the lower lake trout stocking and lack of coho, they DID increase the Chinook stocking from 1.4 million to 1.9 million ?

That is a 500,000 increase in chinooks.. Yea maybe to late but yes they did put an increase in Chinook as an off set..

Yup, I attend 2 of the 3 State of the lake meetings every year. I know they also stocked excess Steelbow over the course of a few years as well. 

Yankee:

Actually I believe the target rate for kings is around 1.75 Million so the increase in kings was 150K.  Also this wasn't do to lower Lake Trout stocking but was due to the fact that they where well short of there target goal for Coho stocking, because the DEC is only having around 16 to 20% eye up rates on Coho's, which I think is a good example of the need for fresh eggs from the west coast to freshen up the genetics in our lake.  As it seems we are creating sterile fish at least when it comes to Cohos.

So long story short the DEC has no intention or atleast has shown no intention of decrease in lake trout increase in kings.

Edited by salmonboy41

You may be correct , I'm learning..

I was told the target was 1.4, honestly I don't know, and yes the increase to 1.9 was due to the coho.. I assumed (and wrong)about the lakers.. I was informed about the hatchery and funding problems on lake trout.. Also was told their reproduction (LT) rate is low which is shocking to me..

It was said the lake management is trying to bring their levels up to a sustainable level with the increased pressure and lower survival .. Again this is new to me and just some conversation in trying to gather information..

So far from my gathering and consensus is that the 2 extreme winters on the Y.O.U alewives has been the factor on the stress levels, thiamine levels of young salmon and steelhead..

I think a huge increase of chinook stocking would not be very wise in the long term right now. This cycle should play out in a few years or at least more data would be needed before a drastic change..

I know bloaters and herring were stocked as an alterative natural forage base (mainly Atlantic) which chinook will also benefit.

Thanks for all the insight, comments and concerns from everyone..

Rich

Rich said:

" I assumed (and wrong)about the lakers.. I was informed about the hatchery and funding problems on lake trout.. Also was told their reproduction (LT) rate is low which is shocking to me..
It was said the lake management is trying to bring their levels up to a sustainable level with the increased pressure and lower survival .."
Rich

About 12 years ago,there was a National geographic article about Lake trout being the ultimate test fish for PCBs. They are extremely sensitive to PCBs. where usually contaminants are measured in parts per million (ppm) lake trout fry will die when there are even only a few parts per billion (ppb) of PCBs in the water. The only place where good natural laker reproduction takes place in the Great Lakes is in northern Lake Superior.

Edited by rolmops

Rich said:

" I assumed (and wrong)about the lakers.. I was informed about the hatchery and funding problems on lake trout.. Also was told their reproduction (LT) rate is low which is shocking to me..

It was said the lake management is trying to bring their levels up to a sustainable level with the increased pressure and lower survival .."

Rich

About 12 years ago,there was a National geographic article about Lake trout being the ultimate test fish for PCBs. They are extremely sensitive to PCBs. where usually contaminants are measured in parts per million (ppm) lake trout fry will die when there are even only a few parts per billion (ppb) of PCBs in the water. The only place where good natural laker reproduction takes place in the Great Lakes is in northern Lake Superior.

i find that very interesting because just a few miles south in the fingerlakes lakers are reproducing quite well.  To the point where in some lakes they increased bag limits and decreased stocking in an effort to prevent over population.  during the memorial day derby the DEC guy at the weigh in told me they are estimating 60% of the population is from natural repro on seneca.  I know they are different ecosystems but every laker i have ever cleaned out of seneca has been full of aleweye.  I wonder if the water is that much cleaner and thats why they are doing better or if the nature of the lake means they are in position to eat other foods often enough to prevent thimene defficency of eggs.

Strange , as some lakes there is an advisory as not to eat lake trout due to their increased ability to contain contaminates , being bottom dwellers..

I do find the low reproduction levels strange though on Lake Ontario, woulda figured it would be pretty good but was told they also suffer from thiamine deficiency causing the reproduction issues..

As for one of the lakes I fish, Lake George , NY , they thrive, grow large and it's all natural reproduction.. They do not stock them ..

I've also heard that one of the issues with Lake Trout reproduction on Lake Ontario is the fact that the average lake T only live to 5 and half years due to the lampreys and they need to survive to 7 and half to have a sustainable population.

I find this hard to believe seeing that there are a ton of lakers over 15lbs in Lake Ontario. How many 20+lb lakers are swimming out there. I don't see a lot of lampreys on lakers either.

I find this hard to believe seeing that there are a ton of lakers over 15lbs in Lake Ontario. How many 20+lb lakers are swimming out there. I don't see a lot of lampreys on lakers either.

I don't disagree that the numbers I gave above seem odd, but per my notes that's what the DEC stated at the state of the lake meeting in 2014.  I do know  they say they have documented some natural reproduction of lake trout in the Niagara river.

The target for Chinooks is in the 1.6-1.7 range.

Copied from the 2014 annual report (which was horribly late this year) this is what they stocked:

2014%20stocking_zpslntlx5tm.jpg

The 200k "extra" Chinooks were put in the Niagara River.  The increase in LT's is to see which group survives better.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I used to work for Ellen Marsden and Chuck Kruger, who were Cornell University researchers studying natural lake trout reproduction in Lake Ontario. I spent a summer at the Little Moose facility in the Adirondack League Club, which they managed. Their early work from the late '80s and 90s is great reading if you want to gain perspective on the issue.

Alternatively, here's a link to the GLFC lake trout management plan drafted in 2014, if you'd prefer some lighter fare  :rofl: .

Enjoy!

http://www.glfc.org/lakecom/loc/Lake%20Ontario_Lake_Trout_Strategy_Nov_2014.pdf

Edited by Gator