DEC response to Salmon Numbers

Nothing meant as derision rolmops but I was addressing the fact that the content of the original topic had drifted way off base.... much as mentioning  politics, religion, the abortion issue, gun laws/control and stuff of that sort often seems to do when something else is being discussed and it has a way of detracting from the informational value of the topic.

Nothing meant as derision rolmops but I was addressing the fact that the content of the original topic had drifted way off base.... much as mentioning  politics, religion, the abortion issue, gun laws/control and stuff of that sort often seems to do when something else is being discussed and it has a way of detracting from the informational value of the topic.

And that is very true!

I will  help with the Sandy Creek pens.

I am self employed carpenter for over 30 years. Busted my butt and still do.  I was working on a union job once and remember the day I was told by union guys that I needed to slow down because I was making them look bad.

There is a place for the unions that being said.

It happens every time there is a in depth conversation, you could mention you picked beautiful red roses for your girl friend,and there would be some plant lover telling/yelling you that you should've used artificial roses. Now there telling you, you shouldn't kill those pretty flowers. wtf.

Gill nets are are size selective since their mesh size selects mainly a group of fish that are desired for the food trade. Small fish pass through the meshes and larger fish will not be entangled in the mesh. Unharvested large fish feed on the small fish and your reproduction numbers are upset. Too often the regulators are in search of sport fishing license revenues rather than being objective on maintaining a balanced harvest of the fish.

Helping out with the pens. That is something that has proven to be a very good thing. It got me to think that maybe we can take it one step further. The Credit River is home to a hatchery that is mostly if not entirely run by volunteers. It does not have all the expensive professional gear and equipment. It is basicly a group of pens that are anchored in the Credit River and a dedicated group of volunteers makes it work quite effectively. I can envision a similar setup in Irondeqoit Creek or another creek/river on the South Side. It might not do for  Kings ,but it may work very well for steelhead or browns. And places like Mumford just down stream of the Caledonia  Hatchery have spring  fed cold year round  water supply Has this ever been discussed?

I was told that you have a penn yan pro hunter like mine. Do you know the diameter and pitch of your propeller.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wow....off topic! Guys use the PM service to deal with personal stuff. Enough said. Now to get back on topic... I was at the Altmar Hatchery today and am pleased to say the roof is being fixed!!....and the raceway is filled with Kings! Saw some real tanks with a few still fresh. Too many two year olds for my liking thou. Thankfully it seems the natural runs on the lake did ok this year. What happened to the stockers will be a head scratcher.

Wow....off topic! Guys use the PM service to deal with personal stuff. Enough said. Now to get back on topic... I was at the Altmar Hatchery today and am pleased to say the roof is being fixed!!....and the raceway is filled with Kings! Saw some real tanks with a few still fresh. Too many two year olds for my liking thou. Thankfully it seems the natural runs on the lake did ok this year. What happened to the stockers will be a head scratcher.

That is very good news. Maybe we were alarmed a bit too early. Anyway what you just wrote convinced me to pull my boat around thanks giving and not before.

That is very good news. Maybe we were alarmed a bit too early. Anyway what you just wrote convinced me to pull my boat around thanks giving and not before.

Weather man talks of a nice week. Temps in the high 60's with a 90% chance of a mild winter, so have at Rolmops!! I'm headed somewhere this week, mabe catch the tail end of the run or steels,& Browns. Either way can't be any worse than the entire year so far.

This time of year is tough. Wind is an issue. Water in the 50's from top to bottom means they can be anywhere. Browns are spawning, steelhead are running, lakers are spawning and out-of-season, so the only game in town is underage kings. This time of year you will be targeting 150' down in their pre-winter mode. Tough sledding Rollie.

This time of year is tough. Wind is an issue. Water in the 50's from top to bottom means they can be anywhere. Browns are spawning, steelhead are running, lakers are spawning and out-of-season, so the only game in town is underage kings. This time of year you will be targeting 150' down in their pre-winter mode. Tough sledding Rollie.

How about in front of the creeks going after a mix of browns, smallies and pike. All of this in 20 to 50 feet using the temperature differences provided by the scumlines of  the creeks ? It has worked fine for me the past 4 years. But as you get later in the season the browns get smaller.

Edited by rolmops

I just read an article about the stocking in Lake Michigan. They are saying natural reproduction dropped from 60% to 40%. I wonder if the natural reproduction has dropped on Lake Ontario? If so, is this why we see way lower numbers of salmon?

I just read an article about the stocking in Lake Michigan. They are saying natural reproduction dropped from 60% to 40%. I wonder if the natural reproduction has dropped on Lake Ontario? If so, is this why we see way lower numbers of salmon?

Per the Biologists this will be one if not the best ever year for natural reproduction in the salmon river. Don't know about previous years.

Edited by troubles