DEC response to Salmon Numbers

When you consider how much money and time we tie up in this "Hobby" it should not take all that much convincing to get people to volunteer for something so tied to their success and fun out there on the water.  A few hours of volunteering distributed over a decent sized group would likely pay great dividends.

When you consider how much money and time we tie up in this "Hobby" it should not take all that much convincing to get people to volunteer for something so tied to their success and fun out there on the water. A few hours of volunteering distributed over a decent sized group would likely pay great dividends.

You would think it would be that easy to get people but it's not. I'm amazed at the lack of help with the pen projects. I understand about out of state guys but the local guys there's no excuse.

These last few posts are exellent examples of sharing information , ideas and opinions.

From what I gather from them , folks are listening, understanding and developing changes .

This is what needs to happen to make thing work .

Thanks folks:

Rich

You would think it would be that easy to get people but it's not. I'm amazed at the lack of help with the pen projects. I understand about out of state guys but the local guys there's no excuse.

After all the complaining and crying from all angles the first scheduled meeting to talk with the DEC and 43 people show up....  I don't need to say anymore..

After all the complaining and crying from all angles the first scheduled meeting to talk with the DEC and 43 people show up.... I don't need to say anymore..

And it won't change, the state of the lake meeting in Rochester this year was half full. With the # of fishermen on the east end of the lake, you should of had double that.

Everyone keep ****ing, but don't show up at these meetings. We have strength in #'s even if you don't speak up.

silverfoxcharters.net

I think we should ask the DEC if this were to happen again if volunteers could hold them in pens. We could have pens made like the pen rearing projects, hold them until the weather clears and then take the to the lake and drop them in the evening. We could raise money to build extra pens and have them ready. It would take volunteers which is a problem because a lot of people can't take the time to help. I think it would not be too much to ask of the DEC or the fishermen.

Unfortunately Brian, we are having a hard enough time with where the pens are now. You know what I mean eh?

silverfoxcharters.net

After all the complaining and crying from all angles the first scheduled meeting to talk with the DEC and 43 people show up....  I don't need to say anymore..

You never know.  I was telling one of the guys I work with this spring about volunteering for the Sandy Creek Pen project and even know he doesn't fish he decided to be a volunteer for the Genesee River Pen Project.  I know for a fact he followed through and did many feedings and the assembly project.  I asked him why if he doesn't fish he did it and he gave me to main answers; his family has a cottage on the Lake and he wanted to give back to it and he thought it would be a interesting thin to see this side of the salmon cycle.  

I think there a lot of people here that have a whole lot more investment in this fishery than him and after the last two seasons may see that volunteering just a very few hours for the could make a big difference what happens the next few years.  I really hope two seasons of poor returns finally motivates those that are willing to let others do all the work for them to actually get involved.   

For what it's worth I am convinced there is no one issue that we are battling here for the last few years poor fishing.  My guess like anything this complex there are multiple with some issue being greater factor for the decline than others.  But fixing even the small ones help, even if by fixing or addressing them it is to eliminates them from from the list of variables.

For once I am trying to limit my pessimism and up my optimism.

Personally, I'd like to see a meeting held in the heart of the headquarters or the state capital

Albany , NY .

Don't you think going to their house and being there with the huge amount of media that surrounds them would carry a powerful message?

These meetings now are largely held at strategic locations for a reason and I do feel it's to limit the public, just an opinion.

The NRA for strategic purposes held theirs at the capital of the state and had thousands show in support.

Just something to think about

Rich

Edited by Rich s

It might be a nice idea to go to Albany, but whenever two fishermen come together, there are 3 opinions and this makes us raw meat for lawmakers. if we can come up as a united group and find a supporting lobby, then and only then, do we represent a special interest group that can survive in the Albany bureaucracy.

Wow ! Set that up if you have time ! Rich S.

Setting up an informational meeting there is easy, all it takes is to petition for it. Enough signatures to a public office can NOT be rejected.

Setting up to change something is different.. If you wish to make a change then it has to be an organized united effort from a defined organization .. Media follows the crowds..

Believe me , I have been involved in many organized efforts to represent a change, I know how the system works and the steps and effort that it takes.. The first step is an objective..

What I asked was for and suggested was an informational meeting to be held there.. What I see and read here are many views with different objectives.. If the objective becomes clear and I am in support then yes, I can help to make that happen .. If it's not something I support but understand that it is a solid value to others then I can help in that direction.

The reasons I say this, that it should be held in Albany, are that is where you will gain the highest level (their house) of influence..

Also remember this, the Great Lake is used by SO many more people other then those that reside along it's shores, that's your leverage .

The strategic thoughts of where they are held now (Just IMO) are to limit and reduce the presence and media to just that demographic location

Rich

Now we are getting WAY out there and I do take offense to that statement.

United steelworkers local 4-00429 president

Proud to represent workers rights

Rich

Same here.

United Brotherhood of Carpenters Local #19, 30 yrs RETIRED!

And I worked hard for my money. Throw sheet rock around all day and do it again tomorrow

Posted Today, 6:16 AM

4.png

Rich s, on 28 Oct 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:snapback.png

Now we are getting WAY out there and I do take offense to that statement.
United steelworkers local 4-00429 president
Proud to represent workers rights
Rich

Same here.

United Brotherhood of Carpenters Local #19, 30 yrs RETIRED!

And I worked hard for my money. Throw sheet rock around all day and do it again tomorrow.

Same here .

CSEA, New York state Employee Union. Same as the DEC, the State Troopers, the Fire fighters and so on.

Edited by rolmops

No union here.(belonged to 2 different ones at one time years ago, and both were corrupt)

Self employed, working and running a business 10-14 hrs a day 6-7 days a week for over 30 years now.

Yeah I belonged the Electrical Workers Union, Steelworkers union, CSEA, PEF and Management/Confidential over the years ....do I qualify for a medal of some type? I also worked for non-uniion places but it has absolutely no relationship to this topic or fishing. Lets get back to fishing!

Edited by Sk8man