Newbie: Scotty vs Cannon

This spring will be my first time trolling on my own boat. For the past few years I have chartered out of Oswego. I will be on a 2016 Starweld 20. I know this is the Chevy vs Ford Discussion but is there a preference on Scotty vs cannon downriggers?  I am looking at the Scotty 1106 or the Cannon Mag 10. The tackle shops near me(southern NY) have cannon parts so that is a plus. I have heard the fast speed of the cannons can cause issues and the size of the scotty being an issue. Besides that these seem to be the top 2 brands. Any input would be helpful. Thanks!!

post-150543-0-31538700-1453402578_thumb.jpg

I think the definitive argument I saw for choosing Scotty's was that you could sit a beer on them. :)

Ahhh that does make it more one sided. The boat does come with a cup holder right where my track would end. So I am set either way. With my luck on the BIG O no cup holder will do. Usually 3-5 footers if I am on the water lol

post-150543-0-62808000-1453408147_thumb.jpg

My first set of Scottie riggers , that went with the boat when I sold it , where 15 yrs. old. Used very hard and a lot. The two things that were done to them was1st. - replaced the drive belts, one time 2nd- removed the glaze from the clutch disc 2 maybe 3 times. I haven't had to touch my new ones for the two yrs. that I have had them. Running 15 lb weights. Needless to say but they are great riggers for the price.

Two of the 4 Scottys on my boat I've run since 1994.

Only repair done to them was a belt replacement on one and two belt replacements and a drive gear on the other one when a friend run a plastic bag up into the front roller while the rigger was in auto retrieve.

The other two are 10+ years old and one of those needed a new counter, still the original belts.

Thats a lot of years of heavy use.

I would never buy any other rigger at this point, they just keep fishing.

Good luck with your decision what ever you decide.

Edited by spoonfed-1

You can't go wrong with either. I have been using cannons for a long time. I just replaced my old Cannon Mag 20's after 13 years of abuse. I spend a lot of time fishing lakers in 100+ fow on the bottom. They were great riggers for years. I upgraded to the mag 10 stx cannons and love them.

i just opened up this forum to ask the same question. I hope more guys chime in and give good pros and cons of each. I just ordered 2 mag 10 stx mainly because i already have cannon bases on the boat and felt fairly certain they are a good rigger based on some conversations i have had. I have seen some things on amazon reviews that make me a little concerned. the biggest concern is cables poppin off pulley and that they are too fast. i run cowbells and ff combos and dont wanna see them release or wrap around cable because they are droppin too fast. Also how good are they at dropping/raising in small increments?

Thanks for your input!

Dan

I have fished both, currently using the Scotty 1106's.  Love the liftable booms on the Scotty's.  Also feel that since you use gravity to lower the  balls on the Scotty's, you are only using the motors half the time.  Parts and service seem to be very easy for the newer Cannons. Can't speak for Scotty parts or service, since mine are newer, and haven't had any problems.

That said, you can't go wrong with either. If you are buying new, both are great, if you are buying used, I would stay away from the older Mag 10, or Mag 10A's, because parts are getting very scarce. 

Tight lines !!!!!!

i just opened up this forum to ask the same question. I hope more guys chime in and give good pros and cons of each. I just ordered 2 mag 10 stx mainly because i already have cannon bases on the boat and felt fairly certain they are a good rigger based on some conversations i have had. I have seen some things on amazon reviews that make me a little concerned. the biggest concern is cables poppin off pulley and that they are too fast. i run cowbells and ff combos and dont wanna see them release or wrap around cable because they are droppin too fast. Also how good are they at dropping/raising in small increments?

Thanks for your input!

Dan

Cannon changed the pulley to a new design that keeps that from happening. I don't  have any issues dropping and raising in small increments.

Edited by GAMBLER

Dan you can drop them down manually if you are worried about tangles. Speed is nice on them and I use 16 # torpedo's. Pulley issues were rectified. Only problem I had were the swivel bases that came with them. Nearly lost a rigger, but cannon made good on them.

It totally failed and rigger was going over and caught it be a rod holder. Another of the bases had a crack at the pin like you experienced. Cannon was good and offered to replace them on all four of my riggers. I had no confidence in them so I upgraded to the all metal pedestal swivels and just paid the difference. post-152890-14534583731955_thumb.jpgpost-152890-14534584143917_thumb.jpg

thanks for all the feedback guys. It sure sounds like on here and out west Scotty's has a great name. I will be heading to a few fishing shows so maybe I can find myself a deal picking two up cash. I learned a lot on my few years of charters in Oswego so looking forward to hitting them browns and lakers this spring. expecting new boat first week of march.

Boat came with some old Cannon Mag 10's. Used them for couple years till they just plain wore out. I was in your place last spring. Did a lot of research and decided on Scooty. Purchased 2 Scotty 1106 online through Walmart (best price I found) with free shipping to local store. First time out dropped the set screw for the adjustable boom in the lake. Hadn't even registered them yet. Called Scotty (on the west coast) and they had the part to me in 2 days....no charge! Very happy with them.

• 2 weeks later...