oneida lake wednesday

just to let you know and i don't want to be that "guy" but you are doing illegal procedures on the lake as well. replacing small walleye with large walleye is called culling and culling walleye is very very illegal in new york state. i believe you can do it with bass and other species so before you go call the dec and bust some guys putting walleye in their cars look at your own actions.

The smaller ones taste better...hehehe....I know of so many folks that abuse limits and I try so hard to tell them that DEC cannot manage fish populations with thier statistic based approach if they do this. If I press too hard they disassociate themselves with me and I receive no inside info from these very knowledable locals. Its sad and spineless of me but i try hard. The best way to teach is by example. LOUSER conservative ways will rub off on some! (I dont mean Ray should rub one off on someones boat) Great report isabell and get you tablefare!

I just think that you might not want to report the outlaws until you are legal yourself. I agree that " the other guys" hurt the fishery more. Walleye however , are a delicate fish and time in the livewell can kill them even if they appear to swim away fine. To your defense alot of people do not know that the culling of walleye is against the law. By all means call if you know someone is abusing the law. They should be ticketed.

Im trying to find it on the dec site but here is how i found it stated.

The fish an angler catches and immediately releases uninjured will not be counted as part of the daily limit for that species.

A person may continue to fish for a species while in possession of a daily limit for that species provided all fish of that species subsequently caught are immediately returned to the water. Special provisions are made for largemouth and smallmouth bass.

Well I guess I'VE been fishing the wrong waters. I've never caught enough walleye in a night TO cull. If I've caught 3 in an outing, I'm having a great night. If I've still got one in the freezer, I keep none and just keep searching for that ever elusive wall mount. In terms of hours spent on the water versus the number of eyes I get in the boat, it's safe to say that I suck at walleye fishing but I absolutely love it none the less. The only fish I'll target. But it really makes me really appreciate the 1, 2, (or on a great night) the 3 that I DO get in a night. I can't imagine guys going back and forth to drop off loads of them. Are they hording them or selling them do you suppose?

Isabell nice report, I dont care if I keep any I just want to catch some. Im new to Oneida any goo starting locations for trolling and a good launch if you don't mind. Ive been nocking the walleys on Owasco need some new scenery. I higly doubt the guy who puts fish in a live well and lets them go will be delt with by DEC, the same as the guy who has a trunk full.

I can see that one in court your Honor I had a ten pounder to mount then I caught an eleven so I let the ten go.

Thanks and good fishing.