Starcraft Fishmaster and Thru Hull Transducer

jimalbert

Anyone have a Starcraft Fishmaster and a Thru Hull Transducer?  Im thinking about putting one in and wanted to know which Transducer you purchased, if it has ever leaked, and if it made that much of a difference?  I need to find the dead rise of the hull but I believe I will go with an airmar transducer.  I currently have my transducer mounted on my transom but loose track of bottom when running even at low speeds.  I could lower the transducer some but if I am going to go that route I may as well consider a thru-hull.

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by jimalbert

Jim

I am not an expert but I have installed quite a few transducers. I liked thru hulls in my fiberglass hulls but not aluminum. I have a fishmaster 196 and have 3 transom mount transducers on the back. If it is installed properly ( level with the hull and 1/4" below the hull line) you won't lose bottom track or depth. I run a raymarine dragonfly and have no problem with that at 35 mph. Have run many transom mount transducers and thru hulls on my charter boats and they were all satisfactory. Airmars.

Steve

Sent from my SM-T520 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Jim bearhunter is right... Airmar is the way to go if properly installed. Some transducer instructions call for the transducer to be level or horizontal with the ground rather than the hull to compensate for the curvature of the hull but it depends too on where on the hull mounted and the amount of curvature. Stay away from any possible sources of turbulence.

Edited by Sk8man

Ill take a picture when I get home and post it for you guys to see.  if looking at the back of my boat I have it mounted to the right of the outdrive.  It may be possible that I have it mounted to high but if I remember correctly I followed the directions that Garmin provided.  

Thanks,

Jim

Make sure you get one compatible with aluminum boats. I believe this can be an issue.. I have the airmar b60 unit. Love it,! 34 mph and read bottom in 500 foot without missing a beat

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have seen an aluminum boat that was stored in a marina on the water where electolysis from a power cable corroded the hull so bad it leaked and even patches could not save it. Even your neighbors boat could affect the integrity of your hull. Brass and aluminum are bad news. Zincs are needed for protection.

Do not install a thru hull in a Fishmaster. Just too much flex. No matter how careful the installation is it will eventually leak. The advice given here is correct, get an airmar transom mount for your unit and mount it to a transom block so you can move it around(until you get satisfactory performance) without making swiss cheese out of your transom. You can mount a poly transom block with quality caulk without even putting a hole in the transom.

Obtain the plastic cutting board from your local store. Mount it to your transom with marine calk and stainless steel bolts that are placed above the waterline. You can mount several transducers on the larger board and not destroy the integrity of your hull..

So are you looking to do a shoot thru hull or a true thru hull. I have a 23' fiberglass boat and have a transom mount and don't loose bottom. I mounted mine 1/4" below the bottom of the boat and track bottom at 35 mph now it isn't a clear picture but I don't loose bottom.

Now if I could only get my rigger balls to not show up as good.

Edited by Chas0218

My fishmaster is all aluminum construction (stringers, transom etc.) and the only foam I have seen is removable (It doesnt look like spray in but rather square white blocks).  With that being said, I have an I/O and in the engine compartment there is no foam whatsoever.  Finding a place to locate and mount it would be easy, but by others opinions wouldnt be a great idea due to the flex in the aluminum.  I still havent gotten a chance to take a pic but will try today.  I may have it mounted too high by the looks of the picture posted above.

Jim