Nice day at Cayuga 8-30-16

My son mark and I launched from Dean's Cove about 7AM in pursuit of landlocks. We decided to run 3 5 leader Seth Greens for starter and the predicted 5 mph S wind was actually about 10 to 12 mph but wedecided to go with our plan anyway. We trolled with various spoons first against the wind then decide to quit fighting it and went t with it and trolled south east on a diagonal without success sowethen headed north again nothing. We marked fish and bait down mostly about 70 ft down over whatever OR down deep abut 120 to 150 or more (lakers), After 3 hours or so of nothing we said screw it and pulled the rigs and ran south to about a couple miles north of the stacks and put dowwn a 300 copper and 10 color core on boards and  two downriggers with sliders and two wire dipseys one with flasher and the other with a Spinney. Trolled until about noon in the 90-120 range and once we hit Aurora about in front of the steeple My son caught a nice landlock on the 70 ft. downrigger with a blue/green Pro Mag spoon. Shortly after that we picked up 5 decent lakers including a double on wires on my home made green flies including one that my son swore felt like a monster....until he got it in and we saw  what the real story was...fly hooked in the tail :lol: All in all it was an enjoyable  day on the pond busting each other and putting together the puzzle pieces to figure out the fish. 

post-145411-0-35472200-1472595794_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-84368700-1472595821_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-22826200-1472595845_thumb.jpg

Thanks Hop yeah I guess hopefully my IQ has gone up a notch after all these years of toughing it out :lol:  Lee - You are very welcome. I was going to send you  the above info in a PM so I'm glad you saw it here.  Good luck out there when you go.

Thanks Mike. I also forgot to mention that the Atlantic had a 15 inch lamprey that had recently attached. Unfortunately for us he got off at the net or he would have been in two or three pieces.

Great work Les! Seth Green rigs, old school but I'm sure effective. Sounds crazy but we didn't touch a LL under 3.2 sog this past weekend, seemed like they liked it on the speed increase. Bright colors yellow, chartruse, my favorite purple or green was cold. Ten color cores 30-50' was best. Great job getting out with your son!

Edited by Nautitroller

Thanks John. I think the lack of results on the Seth Greens may have been because of the higher speed factor necessary because once yo get into the 3 plus with them you usually end up with wrapped up leaders on the mainlines once we switched over to the riggers and usual stuff we were running  in the 2.8- 3.2 (GPS) range and even the lakers hit at that speed :)

Nice report Les , went to LO to fish with my Cuz Bucky , when I got there they had just got in went 4 for 4 3 kings over 20# and a big laker they put back that was in the 20's....... I fish the next morning with him and we moved three rods but no hook ups..... looked like I brought my luck with me up there..... :bandit:

Thanks bud. Guess you brought some of the recent Seneca luck with you Ed but at least Bucky got into them pretty good.  My hunch is that Seneca will be back in action when the temps go down. Problem for me is that it is also when the perch fishing starts in full gear and I'm torn between fishing for them....guess it isn't a bad problem to have through :lol:  We are lucky in deed to have these great resources available around here (e.g. Finger lakes and Lake O).

The fleas were present in small quantities but not anything to be concerned about. The weeds on the other hand were pretty bad...many large pods and we had to frequently check and change things and mostof the time we ended up with weeds on the spoons themselves suggesting that there is a lot of submerged stuff as well. Don't assume every mark on the screen is bait or fish :lol:

Edited by Sk8man