What type of weight are people using?

I have old fish shaped weights, 12lbs. What is everyone using these days?

I have read about torpedo's, sharks and ridgebacks. Which ones are prefered at what depths?

I have a couple pancake ones by cannon but they seemed to blow back a bit. I think the current caught them sideways as the rigger lines were going across the back of my boat.

Spike

I run 3 downriggers. The 2 corner riggers each have a 13lb pancake with the fin slightly bent. I run a 15lb shark weight on my center rigger. My center rigger is also my probe rigger and the 15lb weight helps with the blow back.

Brian(Goin Deep)

Sharks on all of my riggers. 15# if we're running deep, below 100' or so, and 12# if we're shallow. They track beautifully and the 15# keeps our probe rigger from blowing back much at all when we're running it deep. I'm not sure I believe all the hooey about the facets on the Sharks bringing in fish, but they sure do track nice.

sharks are my favorite by far. i have pancakes sharks and the torpedos. The sharks just seem to track better, not to mention those few days that fish just seem to want any lure behind the chrome shark. pancakes tend to tangle no matter what you do to them. we use the torpedo on our probe but that will change next year when we go to the heavier 15 lb shark

Capt Spike - Where'd you get 12s?????? I've never seen them and have been looking all over. Anyone got a 12 fish mold?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

They could be 10"s I got them over 20yrs ago and my memory is failing. I'll put a scale on them and check. I thought they were 12's but as said could be wrong.

Spike

Capt Spike - Where'd you get 12s?????? I've never seen them and have been looking all over. Anyone got a 12 fish mold?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

They could be 10"s I got them over 20yrs ago and my memory is failing. I'll put a scale on them and check. I thought they were 12's but as said could be wrong.

Spike

Put the scale on the weights last night. they are 10lbers or pretty close. Turns out I have two pancake weights from Cabela's. I thought both were 13 lbers. Turns out one is only 10lbs. So I'm sending that one back. I'll try out the 13 on my probe rigger and see how the blowback is (never had it out last trip). I may pick up the torpedo style while I'm out there. Anybody have a place to get them in Oswego or near by?

Also I read somewhere in my research that you should never run different styles of weights. I saw some posts here that have run different ones and was wondering what was up with that statement.

Is it just the chance of them tracking different and crossing that is an issue?

Spike

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this and what the results were. I have 10lb weights and would like to be heavier. What would happen if I had two weights on each cable? I could hang a smaller weight off the rear eye of the upper heavier weight to get the desired weight. Say and 8lb ball with a 6lb below it would give me 14lb total weight. I would think they would track ok and with your release set to the cable and not on the ball there shouldn’t be any issues.

Is it worth giving it a try?

Spike

Looking for 12's ? I use the 12# black directional from Cabela's on my outdowns. Have been for many years and very pleased with them. I'm totally convinced they add separation and provide a degree of clearance when needed.

tried the sharks,they now rest in 400 fow tried the cabelas pancake weights they will never be put on my riggers again and next trip to seneca they will rest with the sharks!!!! going back to true tracs that have never given me a crossing problem. only wish they were 14# instead of 10#