Tournaments

I can't remember the last time I saw as many fishing derbies. I think it says something about the fishery and the class of fishermen we have on the lake. That being said ....What about a Rochester tournament?

Years ago there was a Rochester Pro-Am and it kind of fizzled out due to lack of interest. The past few weeks Ive seen a ton of boats fishing the Rochester area. Could it be possible that we start a tournament here? Even if it would be the biggest three fish , $100 a boat deal that the other ports have. Lets say 90% cash return with the remaining money to go for the pen-rearing project. I think that Rochester is kind of the "Dark Horse" of ports on the Lake. It offers a diverse opportunity for all species.

How about a little input from you Rochester/Irondequoit/ and Sandy guys. Its kind of late to do it this year. The Derbies seem to be a big success in other ports, my question is why not Rochester?

Thanks for the input guys............

I suggested a Rochester Pro-Am two seasons ago and got blasted for it. I would love to see more derbys in the Rochester area. I fished the Orleans Derby of the Month and liked it. It was small but well run. I'm looking forward to the next one on September 6th. I think you could get enough people to enter if something was put together. How about a Monroe County Derby of the Month out of Irondequoit, The Genesee, and Sandy.

You know Brian....we should get one rep from each port to get together this winter to nail down the specifics...Ive never seen so may boats like I did yesterday. I fished with ScottB out of your port and saw just as many......I think we may be on to something...lets see how this irons out and maybe we could set it up for next year.......

I know we could get a strong showing from the Sandy guys. I know Foster22, Legacy, Scottb, Running Rebel, Trout N about, Jax, Tank, Gator, and others fish tournies. Hopefully we can get them in it. Let me know Matt, I would be more than willing to help organize something.

All right fellas....I"ll try to work on something for next year. Since Rochester does not have a pro am, I am Leaning more towards the $100 a boat tournament. Its nice to see people from the Rochester area interested. The things we need to think about is prize structure, percentage to go to Sandy Creek and Rochester pen rearing. Weigh station location. Could be interesting..... After this season Is over I'll get the ball rolling.

i think one of the major reasons we dont see tournies out of Rochester is the lack of help from monroe county tourism dept. if you check out other lake ontario counties tourism dept (for example orleans county or niagara county tourism) they give major support to their fisheries and to the sport of all fishing. Rochester lacks that support and has for along time. its sad to see monroe county, being the amazing fishery that it is, overlooked and under promoted.

Rochester could be a world class fishery town. Dick Schlyer was a County employee when he started the ESLO Derby, which was the father of all the Big-O derbies. I fished the ’79 Deby off the Genny, waited over 1 1/2 hours to launch & counted 350 boats within 2 miles of the mouth.

For a long time, the Rochester politicians & newspapers have not wanted anything to do with developing the fishery. As far as the river goes, Rochester politicians are much more interested in appeasing self interest groups. What’d they blow on the fast “fairyâ€

Ray - shhh..don't give them any ideas. They just blew their savings on a study for the Renassance Square ($20 mil). In case you didn't know, that is a restoration project downtown that includes a fancy bus station. (again, for people to leave the city) Glad we don't have to pay other cities to provide "docking" for our busses.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thats would be great Steve.....A nice winter project for us. I'm sure some of the Local merchants in Charlotte/ the Bay and around Sandy would be interested as well.

Longline...I share some of your frustrations. I have fished EVERY Eslo/Loc tournament. The thing you need to realize is WE are the ones who need to promote the sport. No-one else will. I think that the start of an "easy going just a bunch of fishermen and no pressure" contest would do the ports well. Not to mention the the pen rearing projects.

We all know what the city and county have as far as "interests". That being said, lets leave the negative publicity about Rochester in our path and strive for our goal....Better fishing and a better class of fish being caught.

You guys can count me in! Im pretty sure i can get some of my sponsors on deck. I would love to help with something like this. I would say that we have pleanty of room in the river to hold this right in the parking lot at the beach, so people walking the piers or the boardwalk can see what we have here.

Longline,

I was thinking the same thing about the D&C this past weekend. The outdoors section had something boring (I can't remember what). Not a thing about a Derby that brings a lot of money in tourism to the area.

Missdemeanor,

If you guys need a rep from Sandy, Count me in. I will be more than willing to lend a hand.

I'm just a rec guy, but I've been cursing about this for years as well. Every other county has a ton of support on their site, but I can't even find a list of boat launches in Monroe County? Anyways, if you guys need some help from a pro designer with a background in marketing, I'll donate my time to get some eyes on what we have here. I'm with Yankee, just have a weigh in and reg right in the parking lot for the whole city to see. Awareness is the key to bring this sport back to what it was.