Leadcore line

chugbug

Hey Pap - who is Tuna Tom and would he work on some Diawa LC27's? I have a couple that need some TLC. Is he local around Henderson / Sackets? I see we fish out of some of the same honey holes....  =)  

One thing no one mentioned so so far is so far is the micro leadcore lines (tufline or bloodrun).  You can use them and have a lot more backing on the reel if you are concerned about that.  You can easily fit 10 colors on an Okuma 30 size reel.  Okuma makes high speed convectors also.

On 12/10/2017 at 10:43 AM, shawn393 said:

that will work with 150 yards of braid backing

i din't realize you were talking about 18# lead core when i wrote this. anyone else reading this that is thinking about setting up a daiwa sealine 57, i just did one with 150 yards of 40# pp braid and 10 colors of 27# stealth core and it fit perfectly

wow its hard deciding on this stuff when I'm not actually holding it and seeing it  , is the okuma ma30 dxt a big reel how does it compare to a daiwa 47 to me the 57 is really huge , I dont fish the big lake much at all  and like my daiwa 27's but I dont think I'm going to get 10 colors on a 27 .I don't think I need more than 100 ft of backing for oneida do I , I guess it would depend alot on using braid backer compared to mono with the dia. being so different .

Also the rods have me concerned without seeing how the action is , I would rather use the medium weight if it will take the weight of the leadcore instead of the medium heavy rod , that would be the okuma classic GLT rods in 8.6 ft. The 862m or the 862 MH

Edited by chugbug

The classic GLT and the 30dxt will be fine for Oneida and eye fishing. The reel is close to the size of a 27 Diawa or in between it and a Diawa 47  and it is relatively light as it is made of a composite material. The reason you may want extra capacity and 20 or 30 lb braid  is mainly for running inline boards but actually if just fishing Oneida for eyes you could get away with 150 yds of the braid. If you don't use boards and don't mind a bit of stretch when long lining just 10-12 lb mono with a light fluoro leader would be fine too.

Edited by Sk8man

Ok great now I feel better about the size of the reel sounds just like what I was looking for , what about the rod will the medium weight be alright with no planer boards or do I need the medium heavy action .

Here is a link to the rod , its listed as a downrigger rod medium action CPDR862M  

3rd one down , the next one down is listed as a copper and leadcore rod still listed as medium action but heavier line weight .   Thanks for the help  . https://www.fishusa.com/product/Okuma-Great-Lakes-Trolling-Combos 

Edited by chugbug

Should be fine for eyes as the downrigger rods tend to have a flexible tip that gives a little action to the lure and if carfefully watched can detect light hits by eyes. If just using the setup for just eyes you could get away with the smaller 20 DXT reel probably too, but in my case I always like rigs that can be used flexibly for multispecies so reel capacity , drag functions, etc are important and  I just change out leader diameter and length depending on what I am fishing for and never worry about having enough or strong enough line for bigger fish and can run thgings off inlines as desired so the 30DXT is about the smallest I go.

Most you'll get out of an Okuma 30 is 7 colors with around 120 to 150 yards of braid.  By the time you let it out, put a board on, let it out some more, you'll get nervous.

I suggest an Okuma 45.

I agree with what others are saying to use braid backing ... mono would take up WAY too much reel capacity.

Just a note about the Okuma 30DXT TyeeTanic- It will hold 200 yds of 30 lb braid and 10 colors with a 20 ft leader....see the pic in my previous post. Not trying to argue or anything but just info for those folks considering buying the reel.

• 3 weeks later...

got my combo's for Christmas the reels are bigger than I thought they would be and should be no problem holding the leadcore the rods feel good like sk8man noted a nice soft tip bt stiff butt section should work out just fine , thanks for all the input got to get my leadcore ordered !!!!!!