Davem

Oneida Lake Advice

I have fished from shore and caught perch and small mouth bass but I plan in June to rent a boat for a few days and target walleyes.  I'll have minimal equipment. No trolling motor, sonar, etc.  I'll probably get a drift anchor and also bring an anchor.  I have a map of the lake,

I was thinking of using crawlers and drift.  What kind of a set up is best?  A single hook? double hook harness?  A worm rig with a spinner blade? What color blade?  Would minnows work instead of a crawler?  It seems some sort of weight would be needed to keep the rig at the bottom if you are drifting.

It also seems jigs are popular and black/purple is a favored color.   What size/weight jig is best.  If you tip it with bait, a whole crawler or half a crawler or a minnow?

I've read that around the buoys is good so I've thought about just anchoring and using a slip bobber to keep the bait about a foot off the bottom.

With the modest amount of gear I have and suggestions is appreciated.  

Following this thread too. I'll be there late June as well. I'll be setup to troll, but I'll also be jigging with the kids. I was just planning to run some stick baits along with harnesses and see what the fish like....

Dragging live bait isn’t your best bet for Oneida eyes. They like a more aggressive approach.

If you want to keep it simple I’d recommend dragging a worm harness behind the boat and casting a buck tail with a piece of crawler in front of your drift. Let it get to the bottom and then rip aggressively up 2-3’ and let it go back to the bottom.

June is a great month. Generally everything works. Not equally, but there are a lot of ways to put eyes in the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It would be early June.  I thought I'd rent a boat from Charley's and do the west end and the next day Angler's Marina and do the middle/east end.

Right now I'm figuring I would target islands/shoals/buoys in 18' or so and use 1/4oz jigs with black/purple and a half crawler.  And a tandem worm rig with a whole crawler. I'll ask both Marinias for advice once there but sort of needed to anticipate a few things.

I thought I'd get a drift sock to slow down the drift speed.

If what I am planning sounds good/bad/ etc.- any comments appreciated- thanks.

I've heard casting over weed beds works but in Early June- I wasn't sure if they were around.

Sounds like a good plan. Pulling cranks like flicker shads around the deeper weeds, 8-12fow, and sticks over the shallow weeds works too.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United