Who Uses TX-44 Planer Boards?

Just wondering how many members have personal experience with the  big TX-44 planer boards, especially with 12lb mono line, and trolling for walleye and brown trout with them. What are your likes and dislikes? Pros and cons? Standard clip (release) or the tournament series with the lock-jaw clip? I bought a pair with the standard clip last year but never had the chance to use them.

As Legacy said.  Massive overkill...Tx 44s are better suited for pulling leadcore or copper.

I use mine on Erie pulling leadcore but with 30 lb braid backer.  Replaced the plastic pin with a stainless one.

Spin the board 3-4 times so the braid doesn't slip and use the stock clamp style release.  They pull hard and I would have concerms of breaking 12lb mono, especially if you hook a fish of any size.  Even the walleye boards might be a little big.  The  standard (OR 12 ) would be better suited for what you are wanting and would also be a little more stealthy.  Blood Run website has some good info on board modifications.

• Like 1

Definitely don't do it with 12# mono. It will definitely break your line by the end of the day. I wouldn't use a 44 unless I was running over 300' of copper, or over 12 colors of leadcore. 

Most guys I know use either the lockjaw or the OR-18 release and clamp them down so they don't release.

Depending on what you're pulling, a 22 would be more suited to 12# test line, and even then I would use 15# test and leader down to lighter line, and I would probably use a lighter scotty or a yellow offshore clip set to release with a bead stop before my leader so the board doesn't hit the fish, and it's easier to net.

Thanks for the info and advice. I have a pair of the standard size Yellow Birds as well, I've had them for three years and use them on the smaller lakes in my 16ft boat.

My concern is pulling inline boards in 1-2ft choppy waters. I don't know if the Walleye boards, the OR-12's or the yellow birds would work well in those conditions. Never tried it before.

I'm not running a mast and pulleys on my Crestliner, so I'm looking for a couple sizes of inline boards that will work in most conditions and for multi-species.

4 minutes ago, Tyee II said:

Definitely don't do it with 12# mono. It will definitely break your line by the end of the day. I wouldn't use a 44 unless I was running over 300' of copper, or over 12 colors of leadcore. 

Most guys I know use either the lockjaw or the OR-18 release and clamp them down so they don't release.

Depending on what you're pulling, a 22 would be more suited to 12# test line, and even then I would use 15# test and leader down to lighter line, and I would probably use a lighter scotty or a yellow offshore clip set to release with a bead stop before my leader so the board doesn't hit the fish, and it's easier to net.

Thanks Tyee. I run my yellow birds with the bead stop, and I like that method. I was concerned about the TX-44 clips on lighter line, which is why I'm asking questions on here.

Edited by Todd in NY

If you want to use them for walleye and Browns, consider using heavier braid as backer to clip the board to, and run a length of lighter line behind it. 

Edited by Tyee II

You will need a slightly heavier rod for the 44, which I don't typically use for Browns.

You will really appreciate those boards later in the year when you want to pull heavy lines in big waves. The walleye boards do fine in chop up to 300cu if you set your weights forward on them.

• Like 1

I have three rods with 12lb mono, 2 rods with 50lb Power Pro, and 8 rods with 30lb mono. I'm looking at buying 2 or 3 lead core rods this year, starting with a 2 color and a 5 color, then maybe a 10 color.

Will 30lb mono or 50lb braid work with the 44? I can use the Yellow Birds with my 12lb line.

I pull tx 44s, walleye boards and OR 12s with 30 lb power pro braid as backer and have had no issues even with

putting a couple of 10 lb 'eyes in the boat.  Even the OR 12 will handle 1' + waves if they are modified.

TX44 is way overkill and won’t track right for what you’re doing. They need the weight of a 200 to 300 copper to run correctly. A walleye board or tx22 would be perfect for you. I run both with 30 lb braid, leadered down to 12 lb flouro for 25’, then my sticks or harness. They track well in up to a 3’ chop, then it depends on speed a lot. 

• Like 1

If you install the stainless pins, you can clip the line under the pin, then flip the board a few times before you clip your line into your release. It will never slip with 30 or 50# braid. With the plastic pin, the braid can dig into the pin if you do this.

I have had 30# power pro slip in the OR-18 releases but usually with 50# you can stop this by tightening the release. It does make it harder to release the OR-18 when you tighten it though. 

30# should be fine up to your future 10 color, I would say.

Edited by Tyee II
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info and advice. I have a pair of the standard size Yellow Birds as well, I've had them for three years and use them on the smaller lakes in my 16ft boat.

My concern is pulling inline boards in 1-2ft choppy waters. I don't know if the Walleye boards, the OR-12's or the yellow birds would work well in those conditions. Never tried it before.

I'm not running a mast and pulleys on my Crestliner, so I'm looking for a couple sizes of inline boards that will work in most conditions and for multi-species.

I've run walleye boards in 6-8 footers and they ride fine.
12# is way too light for 44's.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

X2 on the walleye boards although I have both. The walleye boards are more easily managed too and #30 lb braid on any of them for me with stainless pin replacements and three wraps on the release arm to hold with manual release when the boards are retrieved..

Edited by Sk8man

• 1 month later...

I think you need this, Sams Pro Release. As for the board size, I find my smaller boards get plled under too easy.I did even make the mods the Blood Line site recommended. I am considering bigger boards myself. I do also ave a big board with  mast. 

http://www.anglersavenueproshop.com/silver-horde-sams-pro-release/

VIDEO

http://www.anglersavenueproshop.com/videos/

Edited by garrymny

Thanks for the info and the links Garrymny! I run my Yellow Bird boards so they release when a fish hits, and the board drops back to a bead at the font of my leader. I was wondering how I could rig the TX44 boards to do that too.

Edited by Todd in NY

Thanks Salmonaddict! I got the TX44 boards for those days when the "1 foot or less" forecast is actually a choppy 2-4 foot day. I've been out trolling with big super ski style planer boards and watched the wind and waves flip the boards over.

Thanks for the info and the links Garymny! I run my Yellow Bird boards so they release when a fish hits, and the board drops back to a bead at the font of my leader. I was wondering how I could rig the TX44 boards to do that too.

You don't want your 44's to drop down the line. Learn to fight the fish with the board on the line and take it off manually. You'll be much happier and won't spend any time chasing down broken off boards.

6 hours ago, Paul Czarnecki said:

You don't want your 44's to drop down the line. Learn to fight the fish with the board on the line and take it off manually. You'll be much happier and won't spend any time chasing down broken off boards.

Thanks Paul! Good advice, considering they will only be used for walleye and brown trout.

2 hours ago, Paul Czarnecki said:

For walleyed and browns the regular walleye boards or yellow birds will be more than sufficient unless you're pulling more than 10 colors of leadcore.

I've had a pair of large Yellow Birds for about 4 years that I'll use primarily. I wanted the 44's for those snotty, choppy days when it's hard to see the boards. I've got a pair of rods/reels with 50# power pro that I'll use with the 44's. Its taking me some time to get the equipment that I want/need. So in the meantime I ask questions and take notes, and continue to expand my shopping list :)