Just bought a project boat

lrg355

Just bought this Sea Nymph 195.  Hull is very nice with no signs of loose rivets or corrosion. Transom is very solid also. No motor so the outboard bolt holes are visible and the wood is excellent there. Couldn't pass it up for $900.  Interior needs a complete restoration so now the fun begins

20230121_093721.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, lrg355 said:

Just bought this Sea Nymph 195.  Hull is very nice with no signs of loose rivets or corrosion. Transom is very solid also. No motor so the outboard bolt holes are visible and the wood is excellent there. Couldn't pass it up for $900.  Interior needs a complete restoration so now the fun begins

20230121_093721.jpg

great looking project boat. i had a great chance to pick up a 1987 Rinker boat with a not running right 115 Johnson on it for 800.00 a year ago last fall. the hull is in awesome shape with the interior was still in good to very good condition. it did cost me 658.00 to get the carbs rebuilt plus replacing some parts in the carb. only got to take it out 2 times last year but she ran great and did a great job on our local lake. but the boat you got should make a much better big water boat. great deals on these boats are very rare so congrats on your new boat. have a great time restoring her and then using her for yrs to come.

I did partially restore an old 18' Cherokee aluminum boat without a motor many yrs. back. it was setting in a field under a tree. I had seen it for a while on our trips to Tn to visit family. so, on one trip I stopped to check on price and condition. the hull and transom were still in great shape but everything else was toast, and old woman priced it way to high because some guy at a marina on dale hollow had told her it was worth it. but that had been when it was first parked. I offered he 200.00 for it while I would be in TN for a couple of weeks. but never heard back until we were back home in In, she had someone else check it out and they told her if she could get 200.00, she should take it. and i already had an 1983 80hp Mariner motor.

we had to buy a couple of used tires and repack the wheel bearings and work on the wiring before we could trailer it home. the paint was so faded you could see the aluminum. but I only wanted her for drift fishing the western basin on Erie. i took it over for a friend at an auto body shop to see and he said he would paint it for the paint and materials if I would have it sand blasted. my ex bil owned a sand blast shop and my younger brother worked for him. my bil said if my brother wanted to do the work, we could do it Saturday. I had it painted a beautiful metallic blue. the old steering was done by cables and pullies. I know a guy that had bought out a marina going out of business. he had all kinds of boat parts. I bought a bracket that bolted to the transom for a cable steer to be added and the cable. I bought new bearings, tires and new seats at an RV surplus store for a third of what they cost elsewhere. for the floor I filled most of the boat with cans of foam then I just laid a 1/2" sheet of marine plywood in the back which covered most of the floor space then tore the old rotted high deck bow out and filled the floor with cans on foam then placed a partial sheet of 

marine plywood on top of the foam and let it dry. the old boat looked great on the outside but the old sides of vinal could have been replaced. but it was much better than I ever expected it to be already and a was on a very tight budget. the new seats were a plus. 

we fished it for many years on the western basin of Erie. we also used it fishing Manistee Lake in Manistee Mi for salmon. we caught tons of salmon and walleye with that old 200.00 boat. but some years later we wanted to move to the central basin, and I thought I would need a bigger boat (boy was a wrong) so I bought an old 20' sea ray with a 302 V-8 2 barrel that I changed to a 4 barrel with an adaptor plate. then I sold the old boat and motor for 800.00. if I had known what I had been doing I would have kept the old boat as it would have worked great. and the 80hp mariner just sipped the gas.

I looked over this and I'm sorry for HI-JACKING your thread. but i just thought you might be interested in reading about another person's story.

• Like 1

Man that’s a great deal. It’s going to look great I bet when your done with it. Not sure if your doing just a redo so she’s fishable to resell or a complete over haul to make her look new  again and keep, if the latter, due these boats being known for the wood transom corrosion, you may just want to pop the cap off to see being no motor is on. Might be a better time to replace then a couple years down the road. Good luck with the project. 

• Like 1

Since it doesn't have a motor the mounting holes in the transom are exposed. Poked and dug at the wood in the holes, it is in excellent shape. Except for some minor dock rash and faded areas, the paint is ok for now.  No dents anywhere.  Just complete interior rework is necessary.

Nothing out of the ordinary around the transom screws and rivets. I plan to completely strip the inside than put it in the water overnite to check for leaks. Of course cant do that now. Will do it in the spring. Probably coat everything inside with gluvit and replace foam flotation while it is stripped

13 hours ago, lrg355 said:

Nothing out of the ordinary around the transom screws and rivets. I plan to completely strip the inside than put it in the water overnite to check for leaks. Of course cant do that now. Will do it in the spring. Probably coat everything inside with gluvit and replace foam flotation while it is stripped

be sure and update us on your progress. when you ger er done you will have a great boat for play or fishing. you can look back and be so proud of what you have done.

I should have put a floor in the old Cherokee boat I mostly restored. but it was still a great fishing boat for Erie. my biggest complaint was after putting outlaw in large bright red letters on it every time I was in the water, I got hassled by the leo,s and costal patrols in saltwater wherever I used it from the Intracoastal in Fl to the northers part of the lower part of Mi. I gave up and took the outlaw off of it and the hassles stopped.

but i am very envious of you getting such a boat to restore for such a great price and i am so anxious to see your masterpiece completed. it will seem like it's our project to if you post updates.

Sweet deal, bought a 96  Nymph 195 a few years ago, replaced the transom after two years , not a terrible job. I love the way it rides for an aluminum boat. Old 96 150 and it makes me smile out of the hole even with the 9.9 extra weight on the back. May get rid of my Wellcraft eventually. Maybe repower and keep this as my all around boat. Good luck with it.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:10 AM, Frogger said:

Man that’s a great deal. It’s going to look great I bet when your done with it. Not sure if your doing just a redo so she’s fishable to resell or a complete over haul to make her look new  again and keep, if the latter, due these boats being known for the wood transom corrosion, you may just want to pop the cap off to see being no motor is on. Might be a better time to replace then a couple years down the road. Good luck with the project. 

X2

• 1 month later...

Looks like a nice project. Motor is sweet. One of the best upgrades I made to my boat, also a 19’ is to install a bay star hydraulic steeling kit. Cost maybe $700. It has made my time on the boat way more enjoyable. Just giving some input. Good luck with the project 

That's a great  boat, congrats!

But here is a word of caution. These boats were specced out for 70hp 2 stroke outboards which weigh about 250 pounds. The engine that you just got is a 90 horse 4stroke that weighs 350 pounds and it has a lot more power. I would be vary weary to put that much weight and power on this rig. It probably is way more than the Coast Guard would consider safe.

As I had mentioned before, my neighbor has an 89 GLS 195 with the 90 Yamaha VMAX SHO and it is a great setup. I fish with it often. Does everything right from trolling all day without a sputter to cruising at 4k rpm and nearly 8 mpg.  Really seats you back in the seat out of the hole. All around impressive performance with no noticeable negatives. It is connected to a NEMA 2000 backbone to his Lowrance HDS Carbon so all gauges, performance and data is available on the screen. Great setup