peanuts for Lakers?

mdryer

The peanuts will hang the bottom if you drag the ball on the bottom too long. My favorite colors are blue glow, blue and silver, and green glow. Don't forget about spin and glows. They work good too. B&E tackle in Wayne county, and Jay-Ve tackle in Rochester has them.

• 1 month later...

From way out west, we call lake trout, Mackinaw. The way I fish for them is a 6" white Grand Slam Bucktail with a large wiggle fin on the nose. 26" to 30" leader with a Gold flodger. Off the 15lb ball is a 180' set back.

Trolling speed 2.2 to 2.4 mph

For stick biats I use the Cisco Kid Husky or the Wrangler. Off the downrigger ball of 15lbs a set back of 180' to 220'

We find cowbells and such will move the fish away or not bite at all.

Trolling speed 2.2 to 2.8 mph

Just a west coast 2 cents worth

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you're really familiar with what we call cowbells here, they're big blades and we run them slow, about 1.0 to 1.6 mph. Here's a previous link to some so you can see what we are talking about. http://hammerheadchartersandtackle.com/page8.html

The idea here is to simulate feeding lake trout, they are bottom feeders and will overturn rocks with their noses to get at the baitfish, a slimy scallpin, so the blades look like feeding lakers and the peanut is the trailing overlooked morsel that the real laker will pick out as an easy meal. Run them 5-10' back and 3' above the cannonball. Then as your slow trolling bounce the ball on the bottom occasionally (when you mark a fish) that's why we run them above the ball so you can bounce it and not tangle the bells on the bottom. This adds to the realism of the bait by creating a noise and a cloud of dirt which would happen during their feeding frenzy. You can run anything you want behind the cowbell rig, the standard peanut lure has good action, rapalas work well in split back, spinner baits or spoons. Also, if look at temps on the bottom, 39.4F is the densest water will get and will also be where the biggest lakers are. The smaller fish are less tolerant of the cold water and will be in warmer areas. I don't know if you have that out in Cal. but here on LO the depth reaches 802' and there is always this temperature around.

Good Luck with the Mackinaw.

Capt.

Most of the blades are silver prism with some colors striped over each blade. The blue and silvers,,,,all silvers,,,silver glow. Brass ones work on cloudy days with a copper colored kwikfish behind em. Just need to see whats working per day.

Here off sandy creek I will start off with the crystalina watermelon in 5/0 size off one side and an all silver off the other in 5/0 size one with a peanut and the other with a spoon behind it. See if the fish you mark on your FF hit, and go from there. You can downsize to the 3/0 and 4/0 sizes when the fish arent cooperating on the larger blades. Try speeding up, slowing down etc....I have caught them going anywheres in the range of .8-3.0 downspeed

Goodluck