Divers

Hey LOU Members,

Divers... That's the question. Which type are you all using. I mainly fish smaller lakes, the fingers and an maybe Ontario 1 or 2x a season. I have both wire and braid rods set up. I have had good results with dipsys, but there are a lot of others on the market. Can somone be kind enough to help me decide if I should diversify my diver collection or just stick with the Dipsys. THere are Chinook Divers, Slide Divers, Deeper Divers and I am sure many more... Last weekend the mag dipseys out 125 did really well on hungry lakers on Cayuga.

Also, what about color... I don't think it matters much but looking for more seasoned anglers opinions

Thanks in advance

Hey Bobby,

I started using small Chinook Divers this spring for shallow water/brown trout and liked how they performed.  Also, you may want to check out the DW Deeper Divers - they're like the Mag Dipsies, but no ring to worry about falling off and messing with.  I prefer black divers.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Big Spoon

i like the chinook divers also , the luther jensen divers work fine too, the mags are a little finicky going down ,need to be let out slow or they turn around rapping the leader to the flasher around them . that's why i used the chinook diver . the buddy i fish with will not used the clicker on the reel and thumbs the diver out ( i can not break him from doing this , even when i make him pull in  300 feet of wire with and un pop mag , the old saying can't teach an old dog new tricks ) . the chinook is more forgiven with his abuse .

I started with dipsy divers and have stuck with them. I have 2 sizes standard ( #1 )and magnum (#3). I also have slide divers in the standard size(#1). I will say that I don't like the magnums as much as I thought I would. They wont pull out to the side like a #1 dipsy they are too heavy in my opinion. a magnum on a 3-1/2 setting pulles out like a #1 on a 1-1/2 setting. JMT.

Thanks Chris and others! Man this site is AWESOME! Thanks for your quick replies. I picked up a set of black Chinooks in size 1, 3, & 5 and might have to try a set of the deeper divers. I like the absence of the ring. From what I read about the Chinooks, though, maybe the others wont actually get a chance.

I like the fact that they are stainless (what boat guru doesn't like stainless??) and made on a smaller scale from a NY local captain.

Cheers and Fish On!

I've never run divers much but like my original post said, but we couldn't keep the mag dipsy in the water last Friday on Cayuga. It took 19/31 fish caught that day. 

Does anybody know/have a diver chart for the magnum dipsy with the ring attached? The chart that comes with it says all its information is without the added “O” ring 

If you download the Precision Trolling app you can find it there

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app