Mike,

Diver rods are made to support the weight (pull) of a dispey diver. As for line, I would go with 1000' of 30lb stainless steel wire. I prefer Malin brand wire. You can also use Mason brand wire. The spools run around $50.00. Mono will not get you deep enough in the summer time for the most part.

Mike:

You might consider running a 30# super braid (Power Pro, Fire Line etc.) until you get experience with dipsies. Wire is great but it takes care and precautions or else you can easily lose tackel and fish. Super braid is very forgiving and dives as deep as wire. It has no stretch and fights like wire. Mono stretches a lot which limits it for use on a deep diver. Shallow divers ar OK but if you have a lot of line out, you might not be able to trip dipsies for retrieves due to the stretch.

I am know expert, I just got into dipsy divers last year as well. I started off with 30# braid ., on two of my rods. Oh let me tell you about the tangles with the downriggers. But after asking , how to set the dive. It was a cake walk. Three months after I got a okma wire rod and 1,000 feet of malin 30# wire , Daiwa sg4lca reel. I have always use line counters to get me back in the strike zone. Man your goin to love them after , you master them. I now get more fish off the dipsy divers than my downriggers. Still do not know why yet.

• 4 weeks later...

A dipsy gives a very different presentation of the same bait at the same depth as a rigger setup. Another factor is that a dipsy rig is often presenting a bait off to the side and further back than a rigger so there is a stealth issue in addition to the action and sonic signature differences.

• 2 weeks later...

your going to love wire divers, but, practice a little with them without anything else in the water. i had two copper lines out the back and un beknownst to me the screw that locks the direct of the diver came loose( it was new out of the package but it appears it was somewhat stripped out) and wala the mother of all tangles ever, the diver managed to get both copper lines before it was all done. the only good thing was i got all my terminal stuff back between the coppper and wire i figure it was about a $60 learning curve.

ted

remember any time you can get your lure down and away from the boat , enhances your chance to get bit, that was told to me by capt Michaels of the Finatic many years ago and it makes sense :D

Are you talking about the Finatic that was out of the Port of Rochester?