copper rod and reel combo.

Joe W

You need to give a bit more info on what you are looking for depth wise. Copper takes up alot of reel capacity so length is a big factor in reel size. I use atomic copper but i know many guys are going to the weighted steel torpedo wire. It is said to be more forgiving and runs near same depth and its diameter is smaller.   It takes a 55 series reel for 250 to 400 with backing shorter 150 to 200 will fit on a 45 series. If you have deep pockets takotas are great. Convectors are very  for the money. Just my 2 cents. Sure you will get more .☺

Another thought on this is if you are just setting up 1 as a chute rod or multiples to run off boards. Long coppers will require big boards or magnum size inlines set up to trip or the results are not good 😠 . lol a 20 lb king and a submerged inline is a hell of fight. Sams pros work well for this and hold up to the braid backing. Go into the tackle and techniques section and read for the love of copper by legacy. Very informative and will help you with your questions 

15 hours ago, Joe W said:

Looking to do some salmon fishing on lake ontario this summer and would like to purchase a good quality copper setup. Not really sure what kind of rod, reel, and copper line to buy. Any advise appreciated.

What size copper are you looking for?

Looking to run a line down the shoot trolling. Already setup with down riggers and dipsys.  On the talora rod, what length and weight rod would be best for this? I use talora rods striper fishing and love em. Does anyone sell the diawa reels already spooled with the torpedo line? Thanks for all the great advise.

Edited by Joe W

My honest opinion would be stay away from a copper set-up. If you fish for a living or toss your money into a pot and fish competitively they are a must. If you want to catch a Salmon and enjoy it stick to downrigging and diver fishing. If you feel the need to put a junk line out look at adding a Torpedo weight to a wire rod set-up or a 10 color set up. Copper set ups just kill the fight of the fish, and make them even harder to revive. 

• Like 1

Rick always has good advice but I would add that the length of the copper is important. Some folks run 500 or 600 coppers which take a very long time to be retrieved hence the negative effects on fish survival. A short copper isn't much different than a 10 color lead core e.g. 300 ft.in terms of retrieval time (although they act differently in the water) so if you stick with shorter coppers say 200-300 ft and just add weight to them to get down deeper if needed the retrieval time stays reasonable. For most purposes the 32 lb copper works well and is fairly close to the 45 lb. in effect because there is less resistance in the water with the smaller diameter with the shorter sections of it and as mentioned if needed for increased depth just add snap weights.

Edited by Sk8man

My honest opinion would be stay away from a copper set-up. If you fish for a living or toss your money into a pot and fish competitively they are a must. If you want to catch a Salmon and enjoy it stick to downrigging and diver fishing. If you feel the need to put a junk line out look at adding a Torpedo weight to a wire rod set-up or a 10 color set up. Copper set ups just kill the fight of the fish, and make them even harder to revive. 

Interesting advice, glad to read it. Going to be setting up a new boat this spring.
In the past I’ve run 4 down and two slide divers. I like that they’re tight and it’s easy to control. Was considering bringing copper into the mix but I think I’m going to stick with what’s always worked for me in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United