Turkey 2019

I'm right there with you.  I heard the first gobbles of the season on Saturday in the woods behind my house while I was raking the yard and saw a flock of about 40 this morning in the big field behind my house with several strutters in the crowd.  That's the most birds I've seen in many years which is a good sign the population has come back and they survived winter even with all the fisher and coyotes and other critters.  

• 3 weeks later...

Years ago I took my daughter out for the youth hunt. Her brother, 3 years older came along to sit with her and do the calling. I sat about twenty yards behind them to watch.
Bird came in, but left of where she was set up to aim. When she tried to turn on it the bird started to turn and walk away. There was no way to tell her to shoot, I wasn’t sitting with her. As it continued to walk away I figured it was out of range....Boom! I could tell she got a piece of him but off he ran. At about the same time my son took off in pursuit. Although I could no longer see him through the timber I heard quite a racket. Tom came back holding the bird.
It was my third youth hunt, so blessed to have been able to see all three of my kids have a fun and successful hunt.
Great memories, hope someone has a great hunt with one of their kids tomorrow.
IMG_0539.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whaler, head to the fields when it rains. I always seem to find them in the fields when it rains. As long as it's not a downpour. My 1 buddy is a turkey savant (former president of our local NWTF a few years back) told me the same thing.

Got him on Saturday Pa's opening day.

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATYwMAItZjI0Ny0xZGNmLTAwAi0wMAoARgAAA%2BZ1LlSoNnlApBYfhNut8r8HAMyoqulmcG9DrMtd4PexiQcAAAIBDAAAAMyoqulmcG9DrMtd4PexiQcAAp6i1IsAAAABEgAQACR5dlb%2FmHNOtQI2ErBB91g%3D&thumbnailType=2&X-OWA-CANARY=zzjPsWrZcUSWcUWkxGbV-IDWZvfSzNYYSXrodcLNFum9vWL13W7sIdVtFqR9nVH_40mVMWHuFWo.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.mXx24yhNxIwfl52emkDLPx4ErWM7A7Hibe27FTgqxv0RBSDAhLp2gV4rCmHl_GEHArsi3l-AenDZlsixWhRiAoZPq0w3D-rxHzq76siv4E6sbkqxbOVThgNepfjgGFlCPprvh59ASndIVOso3_KWh8mwF5rWTB85gnDnDA9V6_kIU9vO4SBZe8kkThsIWgorYNlOIJvYWTSFGT196W6dwFHyGEtXovLSbR6x7aOlhRt0j3NmbyPClP5IVtI_LmUOQgPF6p76W2HPD6o-UB8R9tMX5KiDPikJIHmVrS-gDU6p0oqwOGz8F_2l8HKxjSF_GzIA9I9Iz4KA4w-VMYlcKQ&owa=outlook.live.com&isc=1

Rainy morning at first, lots of moving around. Once the rain stopped we got dialed in and Tommy made a great shot with his bow. IMG_0282.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Nice one and with a bow!!  Birds were going nuts early but too many hens.  Hunted til 8 and went back at 10 to give them time to do their thing.  Called in a nice one at 10:30 and got impatient and whiffed on about a 40 yard shot!  Moved a few hundred yards and had more birds gobbling but ran out of time. Back at it tomorrow but it's the most amount of birds I've seen in years on the property I hunt.