VHF radio problem

Bad Habit

I have a Standard Horizon VHF radio that I can't seem to get decent reception on. When boats around me are getting lots of radio chat I'm not getting anything unless the transmission is VERY close. I've tried isolating the radio on it's own battery, different antenna, noise ferret on the power cord of the radio and a few other things I can't even remember now. I've always left the antenna cord the original length and coiled it up. It's on the same side as the radio. Should I move it?  Should it be cut to a shorter length if possible? Is there a certain antenna I should be using to match the radio? I have not tried a noise reducer on the alternator either. Is that an option that might work? I've been chasing this problem for a while now and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

Try another radio if you can before you break the bank on things that you possibly don't need or need to do. Just because it says Standard Horizon doesn't mean there's not a bad one or two out there ;) 

• 1 month later...

I replaced my 30 year old antenna with a new Shakespear which means I also soldered on a new connector. I also added a ground wire to the chassis of the radio. It seems to be working better so I have my fingers crossed one of those was the problem.

• Like 1