If you happen to catch a #20 salmon with a rod and reel attached...

Flying up Saturday morning for my annual trip with my Dad. He's been up per fishing when he can get out by himself (81 years young!)

He was in 639 FOW yesterday when he hit a nice salmon, about #20, and got it to the boat. Whatever happened, he was having a devil of a time netting the fish...

So he put the rod down to try and net the fish...

... Missed the fish...

... Fish takes off...

... with the whole rig... tackle, rod, and reel...

Plus, when he went to try and grab the rod, he dropped the net to do so... and lost the net overboard too...

So, if your fishing out the front gate in Oswego, and somehow that fish by some miracle isn't on the bottom and is cruising around and you catch it, now you know why there is a rod and reel attached...

Can't wait to get up there this weekend!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Oh my gosh! I've lost a net myself. And plenty of paddle, divers, and baits. Even lost two downrigger weights. Once I lost an entire rig and my other line did snag it and we recovered it. No fish though. It can be a circus for sure.

Flying up Saturday morning for my annual trip with my Dad. He's been up per fishing when he can get out by himself (81 years young!)

He was in 639 FOW yesterday when he hit a nice salmon, about #20, and got it to the boat. Whatever happened, he was having a devil of a time netting the fish...

So he put the rod down to try and net the fish...

... Missed the fish...

... Fish takes off...

... with the whole rig... tackle, rod, and reel...

Plus, when he went to try and grab the rod, he dropped the net to do so... and lost the net overboard too...

So, if your fishing out the front gate in Oswego, and somehow that fish by some miracle isn't on the bottom and is cruising around and you catch it, now you know why there is a rod and reel attached...

Can't wait to get up there this weekend!

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Walleye,

Thanks for the smiles this AM - Glad the Sh-- Show I can put together is not a curse of only me.  Never lost a rod, but man have I given others a show at times.  I had a nice brown on once while running 6 lines.  By the end, 4 of the 6 lines were all on the same fish, and both planer boards were running on the same side of the boat.  I wold need a go-pro to tell you how the heck I managed that.  There was a guy trolling next to me just stop and laugh!  I blame gail winds, and a rookie first mate.

I also have a bass swimming around I-Bay with my stinger in it's jaw - let me know should you ever see that one!

I once stopped the boat to try to land a king Solo. My big board ended up actually drifting in and going under my boat. Crazy what happens if if stop. Never again, I just keep trolling, although I try to slow down if possible..

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When we fish together, boat traffic permitting, whomever isn't fighting the fish will normally getting Trolling down wind (if we aren't already), and then we'll pop it into neutral if we can't gain and/or to net the fish . In all his excitement having the first King of the year to the boat, he forgot thatittle detail...

Hopefully the epic winds of today and tomorrow die down by midday Saturday. Been some really good activity 50-85 FOW for him and a friend right off the mouth of the Salmon...since he lost the gear, he stayed out of the Deep Blue...

L.J.

Agree - I get going down wind when possible.  My CC T-top is like a sail in a cross wind.  Actually, my rookie mate went to neutral - no idea why, but that is when the mess started.  I started to clear lines now too when I hook something of size.  Too often they wrap around a down-rigger.  Not worth it - but it does make a solo hunt interesting.  Steering, clearing and reeling all with two hands!

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend, my Dads buddy allowed a reel to go overboard while trolling a stick-bait in Erie for eyes.  30 min latter, while on a troll, his lure snagged the lure on his lost rod and managed to retrieve it.  Seems like an impossible coincidence.

• Haha 1

About ten years ago I was drifting for fluke in the Raritan bay in NJ when my line snagged another fishing line. I kept pulling up line and more line until eventually a rod and reel came up. As I was holding it up a guy in another boat not far from me yelled at me, hey that's my rod! He lost it overboard about 30 minutes before that. What was the odds of that. I gladly gave it back to him and we had a good laugh. Lol.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, EWSIII said:

This morning hooked a rod and reel in 100 FOW in front of the plant. It's an ugly stick what type of reel did you have on it? It's got a bunch of zebra mussels on it. 

rod and reel.jpg

Thanks,it would be awesome if it was his, but he lost his rig in 600+ feet of water. He has several Ugly Sticks, but none he uses for Salmon. Hopefully you can clean it up and add to your collection! 

L.J.

lrg355 this rod just happens to have that same exact reel on it! You can barely read the Convector name on the side of it. It has seen better days and is very locked up. I don't think it can be save, even the eyes on the rod aren't the best. It's amazing I hooked it and even more amazing found the owner it belonged to. We thought it might have come out of the boat that went down out there last year. 

In case you were wondering it came on a green paddle and stud fly. Hooked it through the second eye from the tip. 

I once was fishing in 60 ft of water on Seneca Lake for perch in the Fall with ultralight rods with one rod in a holder and had doubles of perch on the other rod I had in my hand and got up quickly from my seat and my knee knocked the other rod out of the holder and into the water where it sank to the bottom. A few months later while jerking copper for lake trout in Spring in the same area (and having forgotten about the rod) I caught onto what I thought was a tree limb or something and pulled up my rod that had my name engraved on the reel. I took it apart when I got home and cleaned it real good and I still have it today. Thankfully it was before the Zebra mussels arrived on the scene.:lol:

Edited by Sk8man