Potential State record Walleye

• 1 year later...

Mystic lake is a pond alongside Tungungwant creek in the town of Limestone bordering Allegheny State Park to it's west and the Pa / NY border to the south. Tungungwant creek is a tributary of the Allegheny river. There are a lot of ponds. oxbows and "borrow pits" along the Allegheny river and its tributaries in this area which blend with the river when levels rise in late winter/ spring. The borrow pits were gravel quarries when I86/Rt17 was constructed in the 70's.

Walleyes find their way into these backwaters during their spring spawning run and some of them stay behind after the river recedes, trapping them in the ponds. I've caught walleyes, pike and channel cats in the pits near Onoville on Kinzua when I camped there (Onoville Marina Park has cheap camping, great docks/launch and is right on the reservior just north of state line bay on the west shore). Be warned, there was quite a spate of outboard/ downrigger/ tackle thefts from moored boats on the reservior during the years I camped there through the 90's.

I'm reminded of another big walleye from when I lived on Rushford lake back in '03 or '04.

The story was a man and his 8 year old son decided to get into fishing so they bought a boat and began fishing Rushford lake. The man claimed he caught a 18 lb 3 oz walleye on Rushford. The fish was weighed at a local store. Great story about it in the paper at the time. Then DEC wants to see/ weigh the fish and the guy says he already cut it up. As days go by more comes out as several people claim to have seen the fish floating on the lake that day, apparently it had been hit by a jet ski and the guy finally had to admit he just netted it as a floater. After that it pretty much got forgotten but the fact remains that Rushford lake produced an 18 pound walleye, the guy was a shyster but a big fish is still a big fish.