Snipping Gills

raider44

Chowder ,no one is dumb enuf to pullit up on plane with a stringer of fish..............rope yes stringer no....save the snap style for (small fish)stream fishing as a floundering salmon can rip open a snap style.After cutting the gills and the fish has expired gut and gill it also.and put it on ice asap ....this keeps the final cleaning station cleaner,no blood or poop,and the entrals go back in the food chain . Now if you catch a fish you would bet your bottom dollar it has VHS or some other nasty looking sickness ,cary some large 30gal size bags on board wrap the fish in it and dispose of properly on shore to prevent further sickness in the lake. You may have to sacrifice one of your daily limits but small price to pay to keep the lake free of sickness.

The commercial trollers on the West Coast provide the freshest and best quality salmon for the restaurant trade. They immediately cut the gills and remove the entrails of their salmon. The fish are placed on a bed of ice so as to prevent the gurry from touching the flesh. The better boats have a flash freezer where the fish are dipped in a solution of super cooled salt brine solution and then dipped into freshwater where a glaze of ice seals the fish from the air. If you are taking fish to eat the least you can do to maintain food safety is put the fish on a bed of ice. I am always amazed at these so called "Professional Fishermen" who post pictures of people hanging fish from a board that are not cleaned and hanging in the sun.

Out west here , we always cut the gills as soon as the fish hits the deck. But were not fishing derby's or tournaments. Usually the fish is iced down as soon as the gill's have been cut.

My two friends that use to have a commercial salmon boat, did not start to gut the fish till the fishing ended. Then it was the job of the crew to start that bloody job . But the fish are again iced down as soon as possible. I keep one of my live wells filled with a min of 30lbs of ice, when out fishing at all times. Do not use block ice , crushed or cube is the best

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_caring_for_fish.html

Ray, I don't use a snap stringer, just have a brass snap on the end of a piece of line that is secured to a stern cleat, put the snap thru the mouth, out thru the gills and snap it to a transom eye, hang the fish over the transom, snip the gills and let it bleed out in the water for a bit & then onto the ice. I got carpet/ no hose on my boat and this procedure has worked well. Just make sure there isn't a rod tip in the way when you let the cooler top drop down (not that I have ever done this...)

Gabler ,thats called the latteral line or MUD VEIN its actually more of a organ than 'flesh'.and yes this should be removed after you get off the lake as it is basicly Illeagle to remove skin from a fish on the lake for proper id also if the fillet is less than leagle size of fish you have no prufe that the total length was of leagle size. but the removal of this nasty stuff is a must as you said from all the fish that enter my house.i usually do final cleaning before freezing ,or cooking if its a fresh cook. P.S I know you know about the on lake filleting just dont want a new guy to misread a post and get in to trouble..