Bow mount electric trolling motor opinion

Frogger

Looking to install a motor on the bow, son is getting really into bass plus I could use it to stay in shape on perch etc. thoughts on what you prefer for model or make. Looking at I pilot Minn Kota Terrova or Ulterra. Might hook up a hummingbird for the bow but not sure I want to at this point. Pm your suggestions or what you think is best. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I updated an older Minn Kota to a I Pilot Terrova with Universal Sonar last season on my Lund.  Real happy with it- remote works great and the jog feature on spot lock is very nice.  Put a Helix 7 in bow and that is very clear and is great for vertical jigging.  I thought the Terrova’s stowing by hand might tend to be more trouble free than the Ulterra self stow feature.  Wish I had updated sooner now.

Thanks for the replies and the pms guys, for those that have them connected to a mfd, do you find yourself using it much with the ipilot when fishing? I went with raymarine for my auto pilot and rarely find myself using it through the depth finder. I usually just point and troll.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

18 hours ago, Frogger said:

Thanks for the replies and the pms guys, for those that have them connected to a mfd, do you find yourself using it much with the ipilot when fishing? I went with raymarine for my auto pilot and rarely find myself using it through the depth finder. I usually just point and troll.

In order to control a Minnkota TM with your depth finder you will need an iPilot Link version. Standard ipilot can only be controlled with the remote. That being said I have a Terrova with Link and other than being able to see the TM heading displayed on my GPS (which is very nice imo) I almost never use any of the other Link features. I didn't have a standalone AP unit so I used my TM like an AP. My kicker would do the pushing and the TM would do the steering and fine speed adjustments. It worked very well most of the time. I would recommend finding one with the 72" shaft, I had a 60" and there were times I felt it was too short.

Thanks FF. Yea I’m torn and it looks like I would never end up using the link feature vs just using the spot lock and I pilot features. I’m thinking off the 72 as well but need to do some verifications on heights to make sure. Seems long but your right on when it’s rough I don’t want the prop coming out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I actually use the link a lot. Both the motor controls on my solix unit and the navigation line auto pilot generates on the map. A lot of times I’ll just point the motor and the navigation line on the map will be off from where I want it. Having the line on the map allows me to see it and correct it before I get somewhere I don’t want to be.

I also use the controls on my Humminbird when I turn off the touchscreen on my remote because it’s bouncing and hitting functions I don’t want. It’s real sensitive. You can turn the touchscreen off and just use the steering, speed and spot lock buttons on the remote. Then if I want the more advanced features I just use the Solix touchscreen and don’t have to worry about touching them accidentally on the remote.

Not sure how much having those features is worth but since I already have the Birds it’s nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have a HELIX hooked up to my Terrova. It's a great combination. If you don't plan on following a contour or asking your TM to go to a Waypoint then linking them isn't for you. I can get you whatever you need at Krenzer Marine in Sodus. Whatever specific questions you might have I can answer. I've used both Terrova and Ulterra. I can tell you pro and cons with both. I'll also be at the Syracuse boat show this weekend working a marine electronics booth with Krenzer Marine. Just ask for Rick.

Edited by Yankee Troller
  • Like 2

I just bought a Terrova with lift assist. It is a 60 inch model, installed on an Alumacraft 175 Navigator.  The lift assist causes the motor to have a tendency to come out of the water in 2.5 ft waves (Cayuga lake the first day I used it).  When it comes out of the water it jumps out of the keyway which mates the shaft up to the turret which turns the motor.  The spot lock feature was going crazy trying to stay on course because the turret was turning and the motor was not.  Also, the lift assist takes about 5 inches of the shaft, so the motor is not as deep in the water.  I was thoroughly disappointed.

So, after some research I removed the lift assist. Problem solved. The lift assist isn't really needed anyway. It was about an hour long project with the most laborious task been forming a new keyway in the locking color. Minn Kota said I should have bought a 72" shaft. The problem with that is it would hang over the side of the boat when stowed, and be a hassle at the dock.  I used it again after I made the modifications and like the motor a lot. 

Thanks Rod. I actually read your post on a review. I was wondering what you meant when you said lift assist. Now I get it. I really don’t want a 72inch either so as you mentioned. I have heard people say with putting batteries up in front and live wells full it makes a big difference in only needing the 60 inch. Thanks again for the feedback.