WTB STARCRAFT FISHMASTER 196

Looking for a newer used 196 with the 2 jump seats at the stern, preferably with a four stroke merc or Yamaha and hydraulic steering.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
There was a crestliner commander 2050 on here last week . I have the same boat and its awesome. I compared both the fish master and the commander 2 years ago . I think the commander is a better boat . No plastic on the boat at all . Everything is welded and you have more deck space because the windshield is pushed forward like a west coast boat . Just my opinion though

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There was a crestliner commander 2050 on here last week . I have the same boat and its awesome. I compared both the fish master and the commander 2 years ago . I think the commander is a better boat . No plastic on the boat at all . Everything is welded and you have more deck space because the windshield is pushed forward like a west coast boat . Just my opinion though

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I like those. Too bad I missed it.

this is exactly how I got my 2010 fishmaster, dont count out the 115 Etech motor.... it moves mine to 33mph 

Ditto -

A member on this board knew of one that was going to be for sale and hooked me up big time.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

Here is an older one (2005) with a new 4-stroke Merc 115. Located in Sault Ste Marie, MI. A friend of mine owns the boat dealership. I’m not sure if it’s been sold yet.

https://www.rrmarinesupply.com/inventory/2005-starcraft-196-fishmaster-sault-ste-marie-mi-49783-10515619i

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Here is an older one (2005) with a new 4-stroke Merc 115. Located in Sault Ste Marie, MI. A friend of mine owns the boat dealership. I’m not sure if it’s been sold yet.

https://www.rrmarinesupply.com/inventory/2005-starcraft-196-fishmaster-sault-ste-marie-mi-49783-10515619i

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks, Laker. I’ve been talking to Jeff about this boat for a few weeks now. Still waiting to see if they’re able to upgrade the steering to hydro so I can install auto pilot.

that's almost my exact boat except mine is 2010 and came with autopilot,  I paid 30k for it a year and a half ago

That’s a fair deal. Auto pilot is a huge upgrade. Yours looks a lot nicer condition wise too. I’m looking for your boat @$30k but with a 4 stroke. It’s out there somewhere. Here fishy fishy

5 minutes ago, dpiazza22 said:

why are you so against the etech? 

I'm by no means speaking for @BocceNation but I'll just throw out there that Etec is a fine motor and has their followers but brings a choice for users.  Personally I wanted the simplicity of a 4 stroke (IMO).  I don't want to have to worry about indexing plugs and oil mix fuel. Granted every motor type has its needs etc.  For me, when I bought my Fishmaster new I wanted Yamaha and a 4 stroke.  I ruled out one dealer as he only fit Etec's, I was going new I had my choice right or wrong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fat Trout said:

I'm by no means speaking for @BocceNation but I'll just throw out there that Etec is a fine motor and has their followers but brings a choice for users.  Personally I wanted the simplicity of a 4 stroke (IMO).  I don't want to have to worry about indexing plugs and oil mix fuel. Granted every motor type has its needs etc.  For me, when I bought my Fishmaster new I wanted Yamaha and a 4 stroke.  I ruled out one dealer as he only fit Etec's, I was going new I had my choice right or wrong.

there is no right or wrong choice, I just dont get the etech hate haha

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dpiazza22 said:

there is no right or wrong choice, I just dont get the etech hate haha

Yup...your a believer.   I have a friend with a 300 Etec he bought on a used boat but new-ish motor.  He loves it.  We are all a bunch of picky, brand loyal opinionated buggers that's for sure.  Glad yours is working out.  I love my Yammy's!

Edited by Fat Trout

why are you so against the etech? 

Not against BRP even though there’s a lot of haters that have had problems with it. I don’t know enough about them to make a choice either way. I think every motor out there is gonna have some haters. I’ve fished with a guy who has a 4 stroke on a 196 and we’ve trolled for 8hrs+ with no kicker hogging up the transom and he fuels up twice a season. Plus, you can’t hear it which is nice after a bunch of beers the night before. I’m into this boat, but when you run the numbers and add the $3k in extra gear (tracks, rod holders, kicker, trolling motor) the number is $20,880. I offered $23k because ppl aren’t selling them. He wants $28k. If he gets realistic with the price, I’ll be a 2 stroke fan.

Not against BRP even though there’s a lot of haters that have had problems with it. I don’t know enough about them to make a choice either way. I think every motor out there is gonna have some haters. I’ve fished with a guy who has a 4 stroke on a 196 and we’ve trolled for 8hrs+ with no kicker hogging up the transom and he fuels up twice a season. Plus, you can’t hear it which is nice after a bunch of beers the night before. I’m into this boat, but when you run the numbers and add the $3k in extra gear (tracks, rod holders, kicker, trolling motor) the number is $20,880. I offered $23k because ppl aren’t selling them. He wants $28k. If he gets realistic with the price, I’ll be a 2 stroke fan.

And, that number is full retail, plus $3k for gear that he wouldn’t be able to sell for $3k on Craigslist/Facebook. And like I said, the boat is pretty dinged up and the trailer has maybe a few good years left before it needs to be blasted and powder coated or replaced.

12 hours ago, BocceNation said:

Thanks, Laker. I’ve been talking to Jeff about this boat for a few weeks now. Still waiting to see if they’re able to upgrade the steering to hydro so I can install auto pilot.

Hey just a thought for you.  Your looking for used so used requires flexibility sometimes.  I have my 196 set up with a 72" shaft I pilot Minn Kota Terrova that came off my old boat.  It works great up to about 3 ft'ers going into them on the 196.   I may still put a true autopilot on the main / kicker tied combo.  I strongly considered it this winter but its not cheap or easy and after last year's performance of the boat and my Ipilot I put it off so I could spend elsewhere. Performance was way better than I expected.   I'm just giving you a data point.  With the 196 I had to ask myself how rough I'm gonna ride anyway going into it where I can't afford someone on the wheel.  Also, on a light tin boat how well is a traditional autopilot going to do anyways above 3 fters.     Perhaps put the $ into a more multifunctional trolling motor or if your lucky that boat you were looking at already has that anyway.