Renewal of Captain's License

Fellow captains...need you're help!

It's that time again,every five years-(since 1993 myself) and it appears the renewal process has changed since my last renewal. Downloaded/completed all the required forms from uscg.website and ready to mail off to the REC. It notes that they will mail you a notice to get FINGERPRINTS and OATH at a REC or an "approved Trained Certified Coast Guard Auxiliarist" You no longer can submit prints from local L.E. offices and MUST appear in person. Toledo and Boston are both a long ride(from Syracuse) to complete in 60 day process. Anyone else gone through this renewal recently or know of a closer "approved Auxiliarist"?

Please let me know if any of you fellas have gotten around this lately or any ideas.

Thanks .

Glenn

Glenn.....Just so you know the only places around us,in NY, for fingerprints is US CG In Buffalo and the USCG in Messina. That was right off the OUPV license application and the Chief in station Rochester. I know of guys who had quite a bit of trouble getting an appt to get their prints done. I went to Buffalo and those guys were great. Its a real pain to go there. Heck I fingerprint people everyday and I still had to go to Buffalo. Good luck....

I had to drive to Boston to get it done. This was after I drove 2 hours up and back from mexico bay to Mussina, were they did my prints only to call and say I had to drive to either Boston ot Toledo. Be awear that I started this process in August and finaly got my new issue on Jan. 2nd. They gave me 3 extentions. Guys if you need to renew I am telling you start 6 months early.

Ron J

Actually these guys will meet you . I just completed my captains classes and this was a hot topic. The fingerprint thing is mobile. They will meet you in a wal- mart parking lot if your paths can cross. Call them and ask them an they will tell you what I mean. The nearest places to get it done are buffalo and messina but you dont need to go there trust me, give them a call

Dane & Landshark-

Thanks for the additional input on prints. Will contact both Massina and Buffalo to see if either one can make a point to meet. If not this Charlie Greer seems to have it together,i'll make the trip to Buffalo.Thanks again.

WW.IV-

Make sure you use aan approved SAMHSA lab in the Federal Registry. I've always used Quest Diagnostics. Good Luck. Glenn