Custom canvas cover worth it?

sstout

Hi all, I have probably what is a dumb question. I have an old cheap boat cover from amazon and it's no suprise it leaks when it rains. I am in line with a very reputable canvas guy to have a full custom cover made in 3 weeks. It's not cheap but I think it will be worth it. 

Just to put my mind at ease, those of you that have full custom covers, how do you like them? The boat is stored on the trailer all the time. My main concern is that it is water tight. I'm sure it will be, and will be fitted really nice to the boat. I never had any custom canvas made, so this will be my first investment. How do others like theirs?

I've had them for each of my boats and you are right they aren't cheap but they can be a very good investment provided you select the right materials that are weather resilient and have the canvas properly fitted to your boat by a very competent and experienced person. There are some critical components: the material (acrylic holds up well if good quality, the stitching is also a factor as the UV can raise hell with  it and the good stuff isn't cheap. If any "windows" are desired the partiicular grade of plastic is important for life of it and durability. If you want it done right contact John Mann at Sodus Bay Canvas:smile:

So, funny story, that is who I am lined up with. I'm on his list. I'm not doubting him at all. I know it will be amazing and he will be using top notch materials. I'm just wondering about how waterproof a good cover actually is? 

The good acrylic is very water resistant and you can enhance it by using Scotchguard spray. I do it a couple times a season and I've had my canvas for 18 years and it is still in excellent shape Don't use the other tent sprays etc as they can stain and also may deteriorate the stitching. I store my boat in a barn in winter but keep it out from April through November and no water gets in. It is also another reason for getting a custom fitted canvas.

I think you will be very happy with John's work and it is worth the wait.

Edited by Sk8man

I had both my mooring cover and sun top/canapy done by John, as recommended by Les....it is worth every penny. John is a great guy to work with as well. Second season for both and they are holding up great. I have sprayed just the stitching to date, but will begin to keep up the canvas shortly. It had a very strong waterproofing built into the fabric when new. 

Dave

I had a good one made about 20 years ago for my sea nymph. Made from Pacific Blue Sunbrella. Never regretted it. About 10 years ago I put it inside the boat when storing the boat for the winter with a large truck cover with special frame. Laying inside the boat, the mice decided that it was a nice nesting material and chewed holes in it. I patched em and I am still using it today. Getting a bit dry rotted now and will need replacement soon. Moral of the story, store it in a sealed container when not in use.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Good idea. We talked about using top gun which is an acrylic like sunbrella but wont stretch and is more wear resistant. Just as heavy, so I think itll last a long time. The cover will almost always be on the boat. For the winter its stored in a family members barn, but I will probably still keep the cover on. Or put the crappy one back on and keep the new one inside the house. Havnt gotten quite that far yet lol 

The material can make all the difference in the world as far as durability. I would go with whatever John suggests if within your budget. I had the dodger (forward shelter) and mooring cover on my 13 ft Whaler for 22 years and I sold it with the boat and it was still in excellent condition thanks to John's advice when I had him make them.

I have both a custom,fitted acrylic canvas and mooring cover on this 18 ft Whaler as well as bimini with standup canvas/windows and a dodger. I had it made when I bought the boat new and have never regretted spending the money for it ....one of the few purchases I've  made over the years that I can say that about :lol:

Yeah. That material is what he suggested. I told him to go with whatever he thinks is best, since he knows way more than I do about it haha. Even with the best materials his price was great. I'll make sure to post some pictures of it afterwords. Thanks everyone for the re assurance that the investment will be worth it. I never really doubted it, but just had to put my mind to rest

• 3 weeks later...

John mann did an amazing job. Just picked the boat up. The cover fits like a glove. All the corners and wear spots are re-enforced. I'm really happy I sucked it up and went the custom route. The material is super heavy and the water beads right off. I'm sure it will last years to come. Thank you all for the suggestions. Hes got my recommendation of anyone is looking for a quality canvas guy 

20200917_133713.jpg

20200917_133734.jpg

20200917_133738.jpg

20200917_133822.jpg

• Like 2